Where can I get windows from?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mongo75, Aug 20, 2008.

1. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

I'm still rebuilding my 1968 25' Luhrs flybridge, and it's coming along ok. I am now in the process of trying to figure out how I want to install windows, and got a quote from Diamond Seaglaze for 90"x24", powdercoated frame, double slider times 2 in the amount of $2238.

That's kinda pricey for me on my budget, and was also wondering if "Hey, can I make my own windows??" So please let me know if this idea is structurally sound- can I get away with using 3/16th inch tempered glass in a 1/4" u channel (from Lowes / Home Depot) to make a sliding window?

My concern is that I don't want to be going through 2-4' chop at speed and have my damn cabin cave in. BTW- I used 5/8" for the sides and aft bulkhead. I'm building the head bulkheads outta 3/4" ply for added rigidity. The front of the cabin will be 1/2" ply instead of having windows.

2. xsboats

xsboats xsboats

I've found junkyards to be a good source of windows for various one-off pilothouses that I've built.Windows from conversion vans and suvs,some of which open with screens,looked "factory" installed when the projects were finished.

3. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. It's gotta be a hell of a lot cheaper than $2200!! I'd be willing to make my own too from tempered glass as long as I knew it was structurally sound.