Latest Delftship on a Mac -- almost perfect

Discussion in 'Software' started by u4ea32, Feb 15, 2009.

1. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

Yesterday I downloaded the latest DELFTship free trail.

Here is what I'm using
    Mac Mini with 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB RAM
    Mac OS X 10.5.6
    CrossOver 7.1.0, the latest free trail download ($39 after 30 days)

CrossOver is basically a commercial version of Wine by the GPL developers of Wine. Free download, $39 after 30 days. Uses the normal X server that comes with the latest Mac OS release (Xquartz 2.1.5).

The download and install of CrossOver was painless.
    Download the DELFTship .exe, which is actually the installer. Start that installer from CrossOver, and it will install it. Only weird thing, is the installer never completes, but it does seem to install everything properly.

I have a normal new Apple mouse -- the kind with a track ball. Using the Mouse control panel, I configured the left side to be Primary, right side to be Secondar, and the middle button to be Button 3. Squeezing still does Expose and the scrolling is still Vertical and Horizontal, so the mouse works as comfortably with Mac as with Windows apps under CrossOver.

The only operational thing that is a bit odd is that clicking on .fbm files does not open the file: CrossOver complains about no application being installed that knows about .fbm files. Might be an issue with the installer not completing.

By starting CrossOver, there is a menu item Programs->Delftship to start up Delftship. Any .fbm file can then be opened as expected using the File->open... menu item.

I made it to step 18 in Turorial01, and everything worked perfectly, exactly as in the Tutorial.

However, at that step, I came to something that does not work for me: I can't select the edge of the transom.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Any ideas?

2. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

I figured it out: I needed to ensure the control mesh was visible. Then everything worked just as suggested by the tutorial.

This works great on a Mac!

3. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

I'm glad you've figured it out!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.