Where can I find a plug builder

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Shaky Hasty, May 29, 2017.

1. Shaky Hasty

Shaky Hasty Junior Member

I need a 42 ft by 16.5 width 15.5 at stern downeast style hull who can build the plug and whats my financial concerns

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

There are quite a few places that can do it for you, the cost will depend on the design and exactly what you expect as a finish.

3. stern mike

stern mike New Member

ondarvr, Could you name a few, I am also interested in this, I am customizing an old sea ray and looking for someone to make me a custom dash plug.

Thanks

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Marine Concepts in Fl can cut a large set of tooling for a complete 42'.

Doing a dash might be a bit different, it may be a bit pricy for one of the big shops to do something that size.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

When do you need it for?

6. Shaky Hasty

Im planning a few years ahead of time

7. Shaky Hasty

Planning for a few years ahead of time dont have the money now looking to find out who does it and what the cost is gonna look like

8. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Nobody builds a 42 foot boat mold for one boat. You will need about 5 plugs. looking at 75 to 1oo,ooo. Plus complete detailed plans and specs 7 to 10, ooo.
    Build it out of wood.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  9. Shaky Hasty

So your telling me I need to have 5 differant designs for 5 plugs because they wont build a single plug? That doesnt seem right, thats fine with me I got plenty of designs just doesnt seem right

ondarvr likes this.
  10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

He probably means that you need to build at least 5 boats to make up for the cost of the mold. It would be cheaper to simply build a boat on stations rather than build a plug on the stations, build a mold from it and then build a hull from the mold.

11. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Plug 1 main body of boat sides and bottom. 2 aft deck 3 for deck 4, 5, 6, 7 exterior upper cabin plus interiors. also roof.

12. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Never mind the cost of the plugs(s), if that doesn't break the bank, making the mold(s) will. Makes little or no economic sense, especially in the context of a one-boat production run. And it makes negative economic sense, aka throwing money down the drain, if the final product is not clearly superior to anything that could be bought "off the rack". And that is an unlikely contingency.

boatbuilder41 likes this.
  13. Sparky568

Sparky568 Junior Member

Agree 100%. Are you attempting to come up with your own line? Curious as to the dimensions you choose. If your looking to do a one off build for the sake of building a boat, I commend you on your commitment. If you just want a 42 foot boat to run and have fun try to get your hands on a 42 foot Bruno. Arguably one of the best 42 DE hulls ever built and real easy to push. Or, if you are looking for something at the higher end or newer there's a few 8 to 10 year old 42 Wesmac's on the market for 50 cents on the dollar for what they were built for. Just sayin.

14. Shaky Hasty

Fully agree bruno is by far the best noat out
    I'd like to get the demensions on that hull and bring em back nut id also love to throw out my own designs

15. Sparky568

Sparky568 Junior Member

So this is a one off custom?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.