Epoxy Floor Paint for Interior and Deck? Experiences?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Franzi, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Franzi

Franzi New Member

Hi,

I am wondering if the white epoxy based paint used in buildings is suitable to achieve a robust white coat in a cold molded epoxy plywood boat?

Good workboat finish is all I am after.

The boat is already epoxy coated inside, but I want a lighter, less cave like interior feeling.

On my last boat I replaced an old flaky 2 component paint job with a very expensive epoxy paint system. This did a wonderful job, but as it was a boat product it had also a premium price tag attached to it.

So I wonder if there is a less expensive option.

Many thanks for your thoughts,

Franzi

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Ive used Industrial type paints with good success. A big problem with these industrial products, when compared to top class paints like Awlgrip, is the quality of the final surface finish. The " system" of reducers, accelerators and application behavior of top line Awlgrip type paints produces an infinitely superior top coat.

To save money its Best if you visit a commercial supplier of industrial coatings then investigate the product they recommend which gives the best cost, durability, top coat quality .

This is how quality yacht builders do it...they use industrial coating and reserve top line, expensive coatings for critical , highly finished exterior surfaces.

Im presently roll and brushing an interior , stern garage area, with an industrial 2 component coating....great shine, but very difficult to control the working time...wet edge.
    the durability of this industrial paint will be yacht standard, but the finish will be sub yacht standard.

The price for the coating system was one half that of awlgrip 545 and awlgrip topcoat. A good compromise.

3. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Most of the epoxy floor coatings are a thinned poor grade of epoxy not designed for much UV or water exposure. If you read the labels or info that comes with these products they tend to discourage this kind of use. Some products say epoxy on the label, but don't have much in common with a true epoxy, they tend to hold up a little better to UV rays, but they aren't normally great paints.

4. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Make sure you are comparing like products, most exterior finishes on boats are polyurethanes (such as Awlgrip) applied over epoxy primers. Few, if any use epoxy finish coats. Inside the boat where you dont get the exposure to high UV anything goes, there are lots of good enamels that work well.
    Steve.

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

If possible, use polyurethane on the interior. The cure time of enamel is too long....makes it very difficult to get in the next day to work because the paint is still soft. Polyuerathane is fast curing .

Also wet on wet, with polyurethane, allows rapid primer buildup , saves many sheets of sandpaper and as a result cuts down dust.

Once again..... consult your paint supplier

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.