ceramic barrier coat

Discussion in 'Materials' started by jayballash, Feb 18, 2011.

1. jayballash

jayballash New Member

Hello all,
    I would like to know if anyone has experience with ceramic barrier coats. We are contemplating using this material in between the gel coat and the skin coat of our fiberglass boats to improve the finish surface of our gelcoat. Our local rep pointed me towards ITW spraycore as a possible solution. Are there any downsides to using a barrier coat such as this? Also, has anyone out there gotten great results with another brand barrier coat?

2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

I have marketed the Spraycore product in Europe, some time ago. Yes, there are other barrier coats as well, but I have no idea of availability in the USA. In Europe, the Nord Composites product range is very good as well.

Drawabacks are the equipment needed to spray the barrier coat. Also you need a decent peroxide, let ITW advise you with that.

Make surre you get your equipment right, the peroxide right, and your spraying technique right.

3. CaptBill

CaptBill CaptBill

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

If you want an easy to use product that can be sprayed through normal gel coat equipment, contact your Composites One Rep and ask for 967BK150.

Its a black straight VE that will help with surface profile and blistering.

5. Herman

Herman Senior Member

epoxy based products are of no use, as you can not laminate polyester behind it. We tried some epoxy resins in a nuclear reactor once, to be used for solving a leak, but long term durability was questionable. We installed a couple of samples between the uranium bars, and somehow they got burned (turned brown).

Still we liked the chance we had. How many times do you get a chance like that?

6. jayballash

jayballash New Member

So, ceramic barrier coat requires a special gun to shoot? I was under the impression that it could be shot through a gel coat gun, or other standard spray gun type. We would be following this up by vinyl ester resin, if that has any impact on what types of barrier coats will be compatible.

7. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

It all depends on the exact ceramic barrier coat you use. Some need a mixer for the drum and a diaphragm transfer pump to pump it out of the drum and into the main pump.

8. Herman

Herman Senior Member

To my best knowledge ALL usable Spraycore products needed a drum mixer (air motor on large lid, pneumatic air lift for the mixer), a heater, and a gun.

I also believe the pump ratio was quite high, some 80:1, so high pressure pump needed.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.