where are they now.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by whitepointer23, Nov 26, 2014.

1. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Can anyone tell me what has become of the volvo ips or cummins zeuss pod drives. They were going to revolutionize inboard cruisers a few years ago but now I never hear mention of them. Also on tv a while back there was a gyroscopic stabilizer being fitted to small cruisers. Never hear much about that either.

2. JSL

JSL Senior Member

Volvo IPS is alive and well. Not heard about the Zeuss. Gyro Stab about.
    Since all of these may be a limited market they may not get the exposure of other stuff

3. boredman1

boredman1 Junior Member

thats so cool i didnt think they came this small

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The problem is they are basically outboard parts stuck in sea water for years.

The advantages , easy initial build installation with less skilled (cheaper) labor

and the ability to hook to a computer for low skill docking ,

are outweighed by short expensive service life , and unskilled operators eventually not needing training wheels.

All the advantages were for the builder and seller , nothing for the purchaser.

5. whitepointer23

Thanks for the replies.

6. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

I was always suspicious of IPS with the forward facing props with no skegs,designed so the entire bottom end breaks away (and sinks BTW) when you hit something big.

I'd rather have normal props sticking down a little,and carry spare props.
    In my area,there's too many logs,whales,and uncharted drying rocks around.

The Zeus faces backwards,and has a skeg.

At any rate,with both of them you now have 2 props per shaft to take care of.

7. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

Expensive item to replace that snaps off.

Ignores the KISS principle. Boats are not rocket science. Maybe some people like the cutting edge tech ideas constantly dreamt up by marketers telling you your stuff is old, get with it, replace with our new high tech wizbang thingy.

I notice ACR's are being pushed and also the old 1,2, off, 1+2 switches are no good anymore, just too old tech. Replace with 3 or 4 ACR's and several new battery 2 pole on-off switches. Where would the companies be if codes compliance's were not continually changed to obsolete - break your setup?

8. whitepointer23

I could not see why an ips setup would be worth the effort when they can stick with stern drives which can tilted for shallow water and lifted up to work on the props . I think a volvo duoprop stern drive is a much better idea than ips.

9. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

You mean like a Kitchen rudder? Not sexy and maybe less suited to a fast boat what has your bank account hard wired to a gas pump.

10. WestVanHan

I originally was going to state my opinions on Volvo which are not good at all,based on friend's boats,but held off.
    Guess the selling point is you gain some efficiency and don't need thrusters,but I've been getting along fine by using the rudders and a little power, and don't use the bow thruster all that much.
    To do any sort of maintenance-oil change etc- on the IPS it needs to be out of the water. Cummins it can stay in the water.

Googled- Cummins Zeus problems-and could only find a couple questions.

Did the same search-Volvo IPS problems-and lets just say my opinion of Volvo was confirmed-lots of stuff comes up.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  11. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

My guess is at least some are due to the haul out thing. When an oil change doesn't cost more than an oil change sort of thing.

12. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

The only way to have what you want is to build it yoursef to your own specs then you can complain all you want to yourself about it`s faults.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT3M1DUz-6M

13. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Doesn't Glen-L sell a plans for a DIY electric pod?

14. whitepointer23

I like your cam a . But I can't see it being as good as a stern drive or outboard. They both kick up as well. Your setup loses efficiency dragging that shoe around.

15. WestVanHan

And the idea of computerized electric fly-by-wire steering with modules all over the place turns me off. If it fails in a non straight ahead position,you are hooped.

If my hydraulic steering fails-which it never will- I can steer with the bow thruster.