Where are all the small 2 strokes in the USA?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by DennisRB, Oct 25, 2011.

1. cyclops2

cyclops2 Senior Member

Plane with 2 or 3 people ?

Think again, or make sure none weigh more than 40 # each.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

We need to take back our countries and lobby for re-legalization of 2-stroke engines both in U.S. and Canada as well as Europe.

3. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Please explain your post. My friend had a small rib with a yammy 8hp 2 stroke and it would plane with 2 of us and we are about 440lbs in total. Yes it was hard to get it up but once it was going it was fine.

I agree with the 2 stroke laws being a bit over the top. The emissions from a few outboards will be an insignificant amount of pollution compared to everything else. Its not like we all drive to work on a 2 stroke rib.

4. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Dont forget he whole Evinrude range from 25 to 300 are 2 stroke today
    Merc have a 200xs ( about 245hp that is also EPA EU compliant)

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

The issue is not 2 stroke...its weight. 4 strokes are heavy, a heavy motor on a small rib causes the rib to loose its self bailing abilty. You will spend the rest of your life with wet groceries and soggy deck shoes. power to weight rario is critical. 25 or 30 hp is totally unsuitable power on a working tender.

6. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

I'd agree with that
    in the Eu you have not choice unless some supplier has a large stock prior to the cut off as they are still legal to sell in the EU just not import, so knowing how crooked the eu is there should be a good supply for years to come??

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

No probs here , I can buy one tomorrow.

2 people in a dinghy of any discription will not plane with 2 people in it.( edit with 3.5HP)

Unless it is a dinghy 10 feet or more in light weight glass or alluminium with flat bottom and the people are 7 year olds.

8. michael pierzga

Hard to find. all 4 strokes these days. I had to specifically request a 2 stroke and the dealer searched around to find one . This was last year.

I think for my next tender engine ill go electric outboard.

9. michael pierzga

My 3.4 meter rib with an 8 hp speeds right along with one person. With two people it only chuggs.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yes it would but the the original poster quoted 3.5HP.

11. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Pics in the Bahamas in '08 shown with a tired four. I use a Merc three now. I have some construction shots I could scan. Built in a three day weekend. About $800 in materials. Could be cheaper if heavier. As you can see, me and my crew aren't munchkins. The three will put me, my boat junk, 20 gal H2O, groceries and laundry on a plane no problem.
    The four was a bit better and my crew and I thought nothing of doing a thirty mile loop around an island in her with a bunch of junk and picnic stuff.

Attached Files:

12. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

yes Frosty, needs to be absolutely flat for max plane weight per hp. I stitched this up on a tabletop. The trick on this dink is that the bottom pannels are set 16" aft of the topsides, closed in fwd with a bulkhead, and the small farward triangle filled with foam, carved to shape, and glassed.

Attached Files:

13. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

My plan was 8hp min not 3hp. Do you think a light 10 foot rib with 9.8hp 2 stroke will plane 2 adults OK?

This is the one I am thinking of getting. Weight 100lbs. Engine 60lbs 9.8hp. I have heard that the cored glass hulls on many ribs fill with water and get heavy. Hase anyone else heard of this prob?

http://www.mercurymarine.com/inflatable-boats/rigid-bottom/dynamic-rib/?model=1

Phil your little cat dink looks cool. What speeds are you getting out of it?

14. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

i think that is my boat in the back ground.

15. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

The three and the four are both torque limited so it depends on wind. On the flat with just me and 20# junk, about 13 knots in flat water, but surfing downwind she gains about half a knot for every knot of wind. Both tach out a bit short of 20 knots. The first motor I ran was an Evinrude six and I managed 23 mph over 5 statute miles giving a Craig Cat chase boat a run for its money. It was a $50 motor that I owned for one week. (the ICW is laid out in statute miles hence the mph figure). The four is the perfect motor for this boat. I love the 2 cylinder CR3 block Johnson/Evinrude motors. Getting hard to find now. Sorry to have dragged you off topic. The little dink suits my little mothership, and its easy to find if there are 200 dinks on the beach.:)

Happiness is floating in paradise listening to half a dozen cruisers trying to figure out who took whose dingys home. Unfortunately, the wives and crew couldn't be sorted out quite so publicly.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.