Bowfising boat build, want to start hull from scatch

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by frmacastan, Jan 11, 2012.

1. frmacastan

frmacastan New Member

I wanna build a boat from scratch! Help a ignorant person out.
    well when I redone my 1652 and seen these other guys scatch builds, Ive gotten the itch to build my own boat from the ground up.im not in a hurry this will just be a hobby type deal. so may take a year to do.

ive contacted a company that can get me all the alu i would need and this is my list just for the hull.

x2 1772 5086 sheet of 3/16 for bottom and sides, (should i go 1/8 sides) this would be all slick no corrigation atal.

4x8 3/16 for transom, and whatever channel they offer for it.

3 sticks of 25' 4" Ibeams that are 3/16 in thickness these would be used for my ribs.

the gunnel rails are included in this quote as well..

What mig machine (without spending 5gs) would best suite me for this build??? i only have single phase hook ups at my house. ive been looking at this 1 "millermatic 212 auto-set" specs are really nice on it aswell.

if I am leaving anything out or somthing yall see that I should add to my material list. (its all subject to change i might even go 1760) please let me know on your thoughts an tips and whatever other piece of advise you would like to offer...

thank you,
    kyle

here is my 1652 fan rig that i rebuilt. i did all the welding and all the fan rigging myself. i learned how to tig weld off of youtube and this is where it got me lol.

[​IMG]

now that its pretty much done
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. frmacastan

frmacastan New Member

i got a quote yesterday and im going to be looking at around 2000 or 2500 in all the material for a 1766.

to me if i can do this it will save me about 4000 atleast by not having to pay some1 to build it.

i also am buying a thermal arc 190 fabricator with a spool gun the duty cycle is like 70% or better 5356 wire work or what would be my best choice of wire???

thanx in advance for the help.

Kyle

3. frmacastan

frmacastan New Member

any1 got any help they want to offer??

4. welderbob

welderbob Junior Member

5356 wire will be fine. 190 amp machine is right on max for this job. using .035 might help otherwise I would use .047.
    3/16 side will be easier to keep straight.
    I don't know about using "I" beam for the stringers. too much flat in the bottom to trap water between the frame and the bottom plate. Thing about a tee shape, will also be easier to shape.

Welderbob

5. frmacastan

frmacastan New Member

thanx bob! ive got this posted on 2 other forums and ive done some changing so to the list.

the boat will be a 1766

it will have two breaks on either sides

i still need some tips on the transom

i still need some help on when to start the upsweep for the bow

i will no longer be using I beam it will most likely be either hat channel, or tubing.

the tubing or hat will run long ways with the boat the i will add a few ribs going sideways to help for support.

also i need some advise on how much an angle to run my sides on??
    do the need to bow out a lil?? or can i keep them straight??

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.