I cant be the only one...

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by MillRtim24/7, Sep 20, 2005.

1. MillRtim24/7

MillRtim24/7 New Member

i'm putting together my idea. I'm picking up a 24' pontoon boat tomorow. I'm ripping everything off but the 50h motor and the deck. puting center console and tunatower (not a huge one. one youd see on a bayskiff or something) right in the middle. the theory is this will make a perfect boat for flats fishing and booze cruising (just a term. i'd never get wasted and drive anything.)
    We can't be the only guys to strip a pontoon boat down in this manner. has anybody got any pics, advise or stories on similar projects?

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Seen a few done, and it can work out pretty well for very little $$. The trick with the tower is to keep the weight low. A pontoon is quite stable, but usually has a high CG to start with and so you want to keep weight low down. With a flat deck to work from, custimizing your layout is a heck of a lot easier than in most boats. You can do pretty much anything you want on the deck as long as you keep the fore-and-aft balance about the same, and keep the CG as low as you can.

3. MillRtim24/7

MillRtim24/7 New Member

Thanks Mat,
    Makes sense to me. one more question for general knowledge.
    How wide is too wide for a 24" pontoon boat?
    Is there a common length to width ratio or something?

4. MillRtim24/7

MillRtim24/7 New Member

oops! i meant 24' not "

5. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

Another issue is that the pontoon boat will ride on the surface of any wave that it encounters. Imagine being in the tower when a little ripple lifts one side of the boat 1' and you move 3'!.

6. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Max beam 8 ft 6 in.
    Anything wider is not trailerable. 24ft pontoons, by the very nature of the waters they are suitable for, must be trailerable.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.