when you buy a boat from another state

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Red Right Return, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Red Right Return

Red Right Return Junior Member

Do you have to change the registration number painted on the bow to the new state one?

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

You should strip it off and use sticky letters/numbers - and yes, you have to change it.

If the boat is large enough to be documented, you just need the name and hailing port, plus the current small registration decal for your state - no letters and numbers along the bow.

3. Red Right Return

Red Right Return Junior Member

I was afraid of that. It's a 25' boat. The owner painted it with 2 part paint but he painted around masked white registration numbers and then outlined them in gold paint! Because of that I had hoped you would say that once registered they would stay the same on the boat and be updated to my info in the database somewhere. Thank you for setting me straight. Watch for a post about paint stripper and paint matching.

4. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

That really sucks- How would your boat look with a 3" white cove stripe? A friend had that problem with a boat called Liberation. She mounted an outboard bracket over the "er" and it became Libation.

5. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

That's a great idea! :idea: