Restoration of a Home Counties Gig

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by stuartbaggs, Mar 18, 2011.

1. stuartbaggs

stuartbaggs New Member

Hi

Is there anyone on here who is familiar with Home Counties rowing boats (gigs)?
    We are a Sea Scout group and are looking to restore one of ours.

I will receive more photos soon, but this photo shows the basic shape and form. The hull completely GRP with wooden thwarts and gunwale. The GRP seems to be in pretty good condition but the wood needs sorting.

Would any one be able to advise me if all that is needed is a sand down and varnish or is there more we would need to do?

Thanks very much.

[​IMG]

2. glasser

glasser HELP U IF I CAN

hello is a nice little boat was built to me nice and sterdy when ever considering a rework of wood boats one the things you need to in to acount is time referbing old wood can be a bit tricky but as long you aby fue rules for working wood you shood do well frum the looks of the pic this is a tite fit plant partly relying on the paint to help keep it seeld frum the water the larger wood boats i have refit the first thing we do is place in a spot the air is not moist and scrape the old paints off so the wood gets a full exsposhure to the air as you scrape it kleen of the paints is one the best times to look for rot you can see the dif frum the harder serfesis to spots may be bit soft if the planks ar of a good thicknes some times is only going be soft just under the paintid spot you see it in this case you can use a no way marker to make the spots when the boat is good and dry then come back and prep the serfes useing a soft bed belt sander so you do not leve cut lines frum the belt of sanding it off hand i dont no if that one have corking between the planks or not you need get it down to the wood and go frum thear do not go cheap on your primers and paints as this is rily what protects all your hard work
    PS sorry for my bad spelling it was never my strone thing building repearing boats was my gift in life respect the wood and it will last you for ever

3. glasser

glasser HELP U IF I CAN

spelling is bad ment a no wax maker

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.