When does a Boat become a Yacht?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by monrosm@shrewsb, Jan 26, 2011.

1. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Never in the English language has a truer statement rung out.
    The other guy's boat looks like a yacht, mine looks like a boat.
    A yacht has that shiny chrome or bronze because the yacht owner can afford someone to come clean, shine, vacuum, fuel up, test and generally get the vessel ready for its job of pleasure and display of relative wealth, a favorite human occupation.
    And it's all relative. Joe's new fiberglass 50 footer is the megayacht of East Podunk River Marina and he thinks his berthage of $350 a month outrageous. In Monaco's little harbor, slip fees are $5000 a day I've heard and most boats are over 100 feet to start with.
    Joe's boat would look like a dinghy there, he couldn't afford the berthage, and they'd laugh at his rustic clothing lacking Prada and don't forget the $600 deck shoes.
    I'll stick with simple old fashioned boats. I'd rather impress the ocean than society.

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Battan, atta boy, side by each me son, translation from my language into yours (good man, i'm with you) As i,ve prev. posted on my ships life boat conversion, she put to shame those dancing deck dandies trying to keep control of their shiney saucer in big following seas, yup my $20,000 conversion did my ego just fine as i hung me arse out over her quarter sipping my cocoa, with my lone hand on the tiller of that big rudder as i sailed on by.( did this on a few occassions it's the humble irish part in me) A fine yacht she was and obeyed every command without complaint.
    As for societys that promote or think and operate in class levels and upper class their toys as yachts, this ******** was the greatest cause of the fall of the British Empire,(so called upper class attitude) I've no time for it, respect is earned not demanded and that goes for Jo Blow, his $500 deck shoes and the boat he came in on if he has that attitude, if not he can come to the pub and have a beer with the boys, then we'll go back to his yacht and drink all his expensive whisky.

A yacht is not determined by the vessel but by the care and love of her owner (it's just that simple)

3. sandy daugherty

sandy daugherty Senior Member

There are people who own a boat
    and people who own a yacht
    the vessels may be the same
    so it's the people who are not!

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Sandy, you are a wordsmith, you condensed all my ramblings into one simple sentence. Ok your boat is a yacht. (smiley face) geo.

5. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Best. One. Yet.

6. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

:)
    :)

7. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

If someone puts all these wonderful witties about the definition of the object in question in a book it'll sell well to readers of Yachting (title says it all) to put in their Yacht's head, to read and chuckle while occupying the throne and realizing how much it's costing them to crap there, and how possibly silly they were when they bought into the yacht myth with its bikini-clad maidens and acres of ever-lasting perfect varnish.
    I remember a Revell plastic model of a Chris-Craft Cabin Cruiser I built when I was maybe 11 or so.... It had little figures of the happy people on their happy yacht and of course two of them were bikini-clad young women of ample shape. Maybe that started it for me.
    Thank you all for your great responses and humor!

8. bntii

bntii Senior Member

"When does a boat become a Yacht?"

Hopefully at some point before the owner sees my estimate..

9. monrosm@shrewsb

monrosm@shrewsb Junior Member

Thank you for all the responses (sorry for the late post) I am possibly more confused to a statistical classification but like the idea of the definition being down to the people aboard. I think it's great that not everyone agrees on a single definition and that there is still much debate as to who is right or wrong.
    Many thanks again for the responses!

10. CaptBill

CaptBill CaptBill

How about this one. Does it qualify?

[​IMG]

11. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Well yeah, from here it looks like a yacht. :p

12. CaptBill

CaptBill CaptBill

Oh I mean does this qualify as a crown.

[​IMG]

Because if so, I wouldn't want to get caught sporting it, unless I was the owner of it, if you catch my meaning.

13. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Now this is a crown!:

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.