When are two rudders necessary?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by FDESP80, Jul 23, 2014.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A single canting rudder lets the blade stay perpendicular and hasn't the drag of a second rudderhead, even if the blade is up.

2. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

now that would be cool, got any photos?

3. UNCIVILIZED

UNCIVILIZED DIY Junkyard MadScientist

There are some pics & info on canting rudders as PAR mentions in the Dashew's "Offshore Cruising Encyclopedia" vol II. I think that said appendage, along with a LOT of other neat innovations is on a semi-prototype Hunter/Custom cruiser.
    For $50, the books is DEFINITELY worth adding to one's library. It's got likely close to half a century of professional grade boatbuilding, design, & maint. knowledge in it.

4. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

I'm not qualified to theorise.
    At one time years ago, I owned an E-scow.
    Very fast.
    Twin tiny balanced aluminum rudders .....and twin aluminum bilge boards.
    if I remember right, the boat was 8 feet wide, 26 ft long, and 18 inch depth of hull.
    A BIG sailboard.

5. UNCIVILIZED

UNCIVILIZED DIY Junkyard MadScientist

Here's a start, info & image wise on canting rudders http://www.bing.com/search?q=Lars Bergstrom Canting Rudder&qs=ds&form=QBRE

As to Yobarnacle's comments about E-scow's, I can STRONGLY second them. When the breeze is up those things are Rockets. We took a buddy's out on San Diego bay for a race when it was blowing low 20's, gusting to 30, & spanked everything out there. Including all other boats from "The Wizard of Zenda" (Buddy Melges), as in 24's (it was a while back).
    They're definitely an E-ticket ride.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.