When are outboards going to be wireless?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Loveofsea, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I tell you what, never mind outboards I wouldnt mind something like that on my boat. That would mean I could manouvre it from anywhere!! even from the dock and do my own line handling.

Jeeees would I trust it? Send the boat out into the marina like a model boat? It wouldnt need steering,or throttles just forward and reveres of both engines.

Or an anchor windlass control. That would mean you could put your boat out on anchor and without rowing out to it you could bring it alongside from within the car??

Going over the top a bit now.

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Frosty - I think what you're suggesting is already out there. I can't recall where, but I've seen pics of superyachts where the Capt hangs a big remote around his neck and wanders about, still with complete control over the vessel. Granted, it probably only operates back to a base at the thelm, which in turn operates more conventional controls, but it's there for sure...

Wonder if we could get it to scrub and antifoul its own bottom....:?:

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Theres some pretty nifty boats come in here to the marina as they travel through the straits of Malacca--but ive not seen that.

Ive seen yachts with multiple stations like bridge,bridge outside, lower bridge and stern station but not a remote that hangs around the neck.

4. Loveofsea

Loveofsea New Member

If you can do this with a remote, there ain't much under the sun that can't be done...

Warning--model airplane, not boat related...

http://users.skynet.be/fa926657/files/B29.wmv

One more detail...

the remote must have a kill switch~

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.