Wheelhouse windows

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Johns1152, Oct 11, 2010.

1. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Oh, Michael, forgot about the Spanish & Potugese white fleets,(Newfoundland, Spain, Portugese, connection) Actually saw it in port at St. John's a few times, my first intro to the game os soccer.They were playing on the docks.We played mostly rugby. However that was not my familys first connection with Spanish vessels, back in the anchient times of the Spanish main, My ancestor one Gilbert Pike was sailing one of Peter Eastons privateer(quazi pirate) ships and they chased three Spanish treasure ships across the atlantic catching and capturing one near the Azors. Peter bought his freedom(donations to the Britsih crown) and set up a Dutchy, to become one of the richest men in the world as the Marquis of Savoy. Gilbert went on as Lieutenant in the Royal navy eventually settling on the ROCK.(NFLD on this side of the pond verses Gibralter). Ya we Nfldr's are a little crazy when it comes to the open sea and as Churchill said The best small boatmen in the world, we take that compliment to heart.
    My new build (surfboat to motorsailer conversion) has a hull shape very similar to the Banger but 27.5 ft long and the superstructure will look similar to the Banger. I am overbuilding as one of my crusing grounds will be between Halifax Nova Scotia and the South west coast of Nfld. That Cabot Straight/ Gulf of St. Lawrence can be one crazy piece of water, the saving grace is the distances are not long. And you are 100% correct attention also has to be given to all 4 exposed areas. My lexan thickness is the same for all windows,(ports) !/2 in. I have also excluded the sliding side window design and use fixed. It's a pain when you're in the wheel house and want to communicate with anyone on the beam but thats what the P.A. switch on the vhf is for. Got to check on my flipper pie now (actually seal meat (a little fishy) but excellent 10 times the omegia of oily fish. Tnx, Geo.

A yacht is not defined by the vessel but by the care and love of her owner

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Yah...when I was younger I used to sail the Labrador, Newfoundland coast. Fantastic part of the world. Red Bay..The White fleet.
    During the celebration of John Cabot's discovery of the New Found World they had displayed a whale Bone Net needle that Cabot brought back to Europe as representative of Indian Culture. Turns out that Indians never made nets...the needle was from the White Fleet.

3. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Been around a wee bit Lad, were you with the white fleet or on a pleasure cruise. I have relatives in Red Bay, have a Basque Roofing Tile on my bookshelf from one of their whaling station buildings. My ancestoral grandfathers all sailed their schooners up to Battle Harbour for the spring fishery there, cod and salmon.PAR mentioned aluminium frames in that this would be a better system to fasten lexan, but he must have missed my question regarding availability allowing me to install my own glass or lexan panels for my build. For economic reasons I have been fastening the lexan directly over the opening with stainless screws but great care must be taken to prevent edge cracking around the fasteners. Are you aware of any company that have a stock supply of popular sized frames for this purpose. Fabricated marine windows just too expensive for me.--- Geo

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

No need to puncture the lexan for mounting...the poly adhesives work great. Ive never seen a mechanically fastened plastic window that looks good , they always seem to leak around the fasteners. . they also inevitably crack.

Perhaps it might be worthwhile to stop by a shop who makes custom windows for houses with aluminium profiles. Perhaps even check out a buisness who does camper vans. They might have stock profiles to work with.

I have one window in the wheelhouse that is made with an aluminiun profile...no welding...glass is adhesive held into the frame with the frame mechanically fastened around its perimeter.

Its raining a hurricane outside but when it stops Ill pop on deck and snap a detailed shot .

All the other windows have frames built as part of the wheelhouse with the window set in with poly caulk.. The window frame lips on this boat is 5 times the thickness of the glass

Attached Files:

5. SeaJay

SeaJay Senior Member

Michael,

I would be very interested in seeing some photos of your wheelhouse windows as well as a couple of broader shots that show the entire house in profile???

Best Regards,

Sea Jay

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.