Stringer Joint Question

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by gypsy28, Apr 30, 2012.

1. gypsy28

gypsy28 Senior Member

Can a timber stringer (42x19) be joined with a butt strap like plywood hull sheeting?

I ask because the design I will be building has only 2 stringers over the 6m max length I can buy locally and I'm trying to keep away from having to do scarfs. Total length of the stringers will be 6.5m so not much needs adding on, and it will never be seen so cosmetics isn't an issue.

Otherwise I'll just do the scarfs, I'm just being lazy ;)

DAVE

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

depends on the loading of the stringer and the design of the structure, but I would think a two sided splice (one splice piece on each side of the stringer) would be better. you do not want the stringer to "hinge" at the joint. Stringers can have both bending loads and tension and compression loads on them. Also, the location of the splice can make a difference on how it is loaded as well.

I have done it both ways, I do not trust my ability to do a strong scarf joint so I would rather do splint type splices. Or I will put scarf joints in places of low loads. The splint type splice will make the stringer stiffer at the joint, so if that does not matter in the design of the hull, than that can be both stronger and easier to make.

Describe what you are building, or better yet post drawings or pictures of it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.