Outboard for a SeaCraft Kauri Clinker

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by RipTorn, Jan 29, 2004.

1. RipTorn

RipTorn New Member

Hi all,

First time poster, I'm in the process of restoring a Seacraft Kauri Clinker and was wondering what people thought would be an adequite Motor size to power this boat when finished.

It's 4.6 meters in length and i have no idea of what it weighs.

I believe it may have had an Evenrude 70HP on it at one stage but i Acquired it without a motor.

I welcome all comments.. :)

2. Andrew Miller

Andrew Miller New Member

Hi, I am not sure they were designed for outboards. I have seen some very orriginal specimens for sale with Stuart Turner inboard petrol engines, possibly only 10 hp. Check trade me Listing #: 469450307. the sellers indicate an 8 hp. Hope this helps and good luck.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Hi Rip, welcome to the forum. The power of your engine needs to be based on what type of boat you have. Can you post a picture? If they came with small HP inboards, it's likely a putt putt and not a full plane boat. If it's a putt putt, then you only need a low HP engine, as it'll never go very fast (shape limitations). On the other hand, if shaped properly, you might be able to get her to scream along, but without knowing her shape . . .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.