Average Cost of Steel Boat Kit?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Byrd88, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Byrd88

Byrd88 Junior Member

I have been trying to contact numerous boat kit companies for pricing lists on their steel boat designs & no one seems to want to respond to such a simple question. I realize kits will vary on the company, size, location, etc... So my question is for a simple approximation to anyone who may know the average cost of a 50 - 60 ft steel boat kit, preferably made & shipped from the USA. Any help is greatly apprecaited. Thank you!!

2. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

You are not getting a simple answer because there is not one for your question. Your best bet is to compare the price by the pound. That is likely to be more accurate for comparisons.

3. Byrd88

Byrd88 Junior Member

My problem is I have nothing to compare to, as the companies won't get back to me & it's been two weeks since I requested pricing... Hence I'm trying to get a ball park figure. Again I realize this is hard to do as it depends on so many factors. I'm not really interested in cutting the steel myself & would prefer a pre cut kit, so I'm just trying to get an idea what kind of investment I'm looking for. Thank you for your response though Pierre, always appreciate any help.

4. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

Well I could give a WAG but that is just what it would be. Steel is roughly $.55 to $.7 per lb depending on where you want to buy. Double it for cutting charges and add in a convience charge and profit and I bet you are looking at $2.00 to $3.00 per lb. Again a wild *** guess. :D

5. Byrd88

Byrd88 Junior Member

Thanks for the info... As Bruce Roberts wants $156,800 for my desired boat.. And that's for the kit only!! I've already found used boats for less that I could refurbish, so back to square one. If you or anyone else knows of good, cheaper steel boat kits please forward me the website info... Thanks again!! ;-)

6. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

most likely used will be cheaper no matter what.

7. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Used steel boats depending on condition can be very cheap to buy. From .10 a pound to $1 just for hull. I know people who buy them just to scrap them.

8. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Trawler or coastal cruiser?

And no matter what,afaik the hull is a small fraction of the total cost...maybe ~20% plus years of your lives.

9. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Your boat as a new build will cost a large proportion or more of what a similar production boat costs, if you do heaps of work yourself there may be a saving- Bruce has been marketing "this" for quite some time but really if an of the shelf boat cost is $1 000 000, expect to spend $750 000 plus at least. Try looking at the Metal boat society for advice too.Jeff.

10. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

This is for Europe, just picked a 60' barge from their list, but may be of help with 'order of magnitude' costing:
    http://www.euroshipservices.nl/english/default.htm?http%3A//www.euroshipservices.nl/english/standaardpakketten.asp%3FPakketID%3D116
    Price
    PLATE-KIT, all plates with marking lines, and cut to size ..…Euro 39.500,=
    PROFILES-KIT, all profiles, solid half rounds, T-bars ect. …..….Euro.. 3.650,=
    CASCO, plate-kit and profiles-kit completely welded, grinded, …...Euro 90.750,=
    Pricing, excl. VAT ex. factory.
    Pricing for a sail away version or fully fitted version upon request, please contact Euroship.

Dimensions
    Length over all: 18 mtr.
    Beam over all: 4,85 mtr.
    Draft: standard as proposed 1,0 mtr. can be customized
    Airdraft: standard as proposed 3,2 mtr. can be customized
    Displacement: 40 ton

Steel hull / deck
    Bottom and hull plating: 6mm
    Bulkhead, deck, seats and details: 5mm
    Plate frames cut to size: 5mm
    Engine girders and top plate: 8mm
    Rubrail, cut to size plating 200 * 15 mm
    Deck and floor framing: T 50 * 50 * 5

11. Byrd88

Byrd88 Junior Member

Thank you Everyone!! I think the idea that building your own boat from a kit being cheaper than buying a used boat is definitely a crock, so long as you look for the right boat & right price... So now I'm back to used boat shopping... Joy!! Thank you again for all the help and leads everyone!! As for the trawler or crusier question, I've been leaning towards a trawler just because they seem sturdy and could viably hold a good amount of people & weight, but I'm a bit new to this and am still open to suggestion. Definitely has to be steel & 50 - 60 feet long though. ;-)

12. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

Doesn't make sense?

13. EuroCanal

EuroCanal Junior Member

14. Byrd88

Byrd88 Junior Member

Awesome... Thank you Euro!!

15. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Coastal or offshore??
    If you are a coastal cruiser live aboard why spend all that extra money ( heavy duty duplicated systems/engines/reinforced windows/ channels/door/pumps/hulls etc etc etc) just to sit at a dock or cruise the ICW.

Your Roberts kit @ $160 k will cost you much more than that...space,equipment,help,medical bills (yes someone will get injured),your time not working etc
    But for the same price you can get a fully built used boat and just assume you're going to spend $25 k on it and be ready to roll in a month or 3 instead of 3 years.

But maybe you need that time to finance it..I dunno.

Found this in 20 seconds,may not be your thing (not mine) but u get the idea

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...-Liveaboard-2204306/CT-River/CT/United-States

Or if you wear really thick glasses this may B 4 U:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...ouse-Trawler-2125889/Seattle/WA/United-States

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.