Whats wrong with these boats??

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Vulkyn, Nov 5, 2013.

1. alan white

alan white Senior Member

There does look to be a swell if you look at the area ahead of the bow--- and a current judging by the angle of the mooring buoy. In any case, you can't know anything from the photo.

2. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

It was actually in a bay so the current was negligible. I took a boat trip that day and the boat caught my eye because of the relatively hight platform from the water line and out of many boats this one seemed really odd almost as if the centre of gravity forward rather than centred.
    There was no waves and even if there was a boat that big should not be effected to that extent.

The first picture as well if you look at the waterline is out of proportion almost as if the design did not account for how the boat will float.
    Unfortunately you tend to see boats like that lot in Egypt.

3. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

[​IMG]

‘‘ This antique-style gold God Bless This Boat visor clip easily attaches to any car visor to offer protection and a sign of faith ’’
    Cheers,
    Angel

P.S. - ‘‘ . . . This Boat visor clip easily attaches to any car visor . . . ’’ - :confused: - - - But, $ 15.98 is not expensive for protection . . . ;)

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Not exactly Cleopatra's Barge.

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

It looks to me like an example of an amateur design. They drew a nice looking sheer in profile, but did not rotate it in 3d to see how it would look from other angles. I had a boat like that back in the 60's. From the side it looked fine. From any other angle the curve of the sheer was an S shape. It was ugly too ( But I had a lot of fun sailing it. What the hell did I know. I was a teenager and they practically gave the boat away.)

Plus, whoever put the boot stripe on must have done it by eye rather than trying to make it parallel to the water line. It curves.

6. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Most boat designs in Egypt (wood boats) are father to son business with little navel architect influence.
    However i have seen boat builders who can't read and write but have produced really good boats and vice versa.
    They usually don't design but relay on proven designs and just have the building experience.

I have a lot of photo's i have taken over time of boats that just seemed off in some way its quite rare when you see a wooden boat that sits, well seems balanced and handles well.

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

$15.98 somewhat devalues the Lord's divine protection, imo.

8. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Martin Luther would probably have issues with this.

It would be major competition for John Hancock also.

9. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

The inside of some of the boats is even worse ..... one newly renovated 18 meter wooden boat i was on recently (which looked like an ok build, at least it was not listing !) I asked a simple question to the veteran captain who has been doing this job for 28 years:
    Me: How much bilge output do you have?
    Captain: We don't need bilge we just changed the wood planks and they are brand new.
    Me: Not even a manual pump ?
    Captain: no we don't need it ...
    Me: .........

Unfortunately this is a common boating mentality ....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.