Whats this rumor about epoxy might not be so great at encapsulation after all

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Boston, Jan 20, 2011.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Bntii, you hit the nail on the head with
    Some just refuse to make changes, like Pardey and others have made some changes, but now can't back off or make adjustments, like Don Danenburg who still thinks CPES and epoxy are the cure all products of old wooden boats.

How would you like a doctor to remain with what he learned, maybe using cat gut for sutures, glass syringes, no organ transplants, etc., because when they went to school they didn't have any of the newer stuff. Engineers are they same way and not prone to remain in the rut, their education drove down their throat. The wise engineer or doctor continues his education, remains up on the new techniques, products and equipment. The same applies to yacht repair, restoration and new designs. When I first learned this stuff we used slide rules and drawing tables. Now Daniel Skira would suggest this is the "way", but I made the adjustment and many others have too. We advance or we'll watch the progress parade march on by. Me, I'm too vain I guess and want to be in the damn parade.

To address Bntii question directly, if you think it might have to come off for repair, replacement or maintenance at some point, then bed it. If it's a "part of the boat" then bond it on and drive few big screws into too, just to be sure.

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

and speaking of rumors why do I seem to remember something about new engines being required in new boats. I was kinda hoping to stick a used auto diesel into that old runabout.

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Like any job its all up to the person doing the work , Use cheap materials and do the job slap dash and you get what you get . spend the time and think a little about what could, would, and will happen if you skimp on materials and you will be right !! Its wont last , it wont seal for long and will have to be redone again some time in the future . :confused::idea::D:p:p

4. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

You can put a used diesel in. Go for it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.