Does a ladder help support the flybridge?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by partgypsy, Aug 11, 2008.

1. partgypsy

partgypsy Junior Member

My 47 Chris came in two models... with or without flybridge. Both models's tops are supported at the leading edge, along the side walls (mostly window), and at the aft ends. In addition, there are two 2"x3" box-section aluminum supports. The flybridge has a fixed ladder at about center, the other version has no center support.

I wanted to make the ladder removeable as it intereferes with just about everything on deck. When I unfastened it, the cabin top seems to have dropped about 3/4" (Or the floor sprang up the same amount).

Is this just a matter of the boat changing shape over the years? Or possibly, the builder accounting for the extra weight on the flybridge, making the ladder into another support member?

Do I need to worry about this?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.