Raked Transom on Carolina Skiff

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by armstpat, Nov 7, 2012.

1. armstpat

armstpat Junior Member

I am in the early stages of building a Carolina Skiff. I would like to give it a raked transom similar to that of the Simmons Sea Skiff. I am worried that a large lifting motion from a quartering wave combined with the sharp vee of the boat I'm building would create a stability issue that would cause an uncomfortable roll. I've been out in a small Boston Whaler where a wave came over the stern. That was REALLY uncomfortable. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Set the transom angle at 15 degrees and forget about it, unless you have powered tilt and trim, at which point you can make the transom angle anything you want, within the range of trim adjustment.

Addressing roll can get complicated, pretty quickly, unless in the design phase of a project. Accept that some sea state conditions will cause an uncomfortable motion. A wise skipper will adjust course or consider other options, such as a drogue or steadying sail if on the hook or adrift. Simply put, not all variables can be adequately addressed, in all sea states. In other words, you could develop a design that will be quite stiff and resit rolling, but you may have to pay a steep price on other aspects of the design, like pounding in a chop or head sea, as a result of anti-rolling decisions in the design. As far as what you can do to modify a design, well you're even more limited. Post a picture of your project and the proposed changes and why you think they're needed.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.