what's the hot website to buy odd stainless bolts, etc from?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Squidly-Diddly, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

just one of these is what I need for the moment.

Hex bolts, Stainless steel 316, 3/8"-16 x 4-1/4"

This place got'em, but it is for four min, and ANOTHER bunch of online forms to fill out (but I guess I'd use them again, but I think they want $4 shipping for each order).

Ebay seems a hopeless jumble, but many Ebay sellers offer super cheap or free shipping via USPO for small items.

Are there any ebay sites that have their act together for stuff like individual bolts?

2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

3. Squidly-Diddly

Not at lowest shipping cost of $8.30 for one bolt. Even 'store pickup' is over $6 shipping.

Like I said, many ebay sellers do free shipping for small cheap items under a pound or whatever USPO deal is.

I've gotten free shipping for $3 items.

I'm almost smelling an 'opportunity' here, as I'm sure nation and worldwide there are millions with same desire.

4. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

How about these chaps, Cap?:

http://www.boltdepot.com/Hex_bolts_Stainless_steel_316_3_8-16.aspx

They got yer 4-1/4" long bolt $3.17 ea., No Min. Order. You'll have to check w/them about shipping.

Whatsa matter? They got no hardware stores in SF anymore? Is it all just hipster doofuses there now?

5. Squidly-Diddly

Yes, shipping still $5.95 on $3.** order. Like they say "can't pay the freight"(great biz idea but overhead/freight kills it)

Oh well, I guess I can handle $6, but still hoping for ebay free shipping vendor.

Maybe half those on ebay are 'hobbyist' sellers, sort of like certain folks just love putting on garage sales every other week, just to sit there and banter.

Yes, SF now all hipster/communists. Former institution of K-119 tools bought out by Chi-Coms and "just ain't the same". http://www.yelp.com/biz/k-119-tools-and-equipment-san-bruno

Ditto with "Tool Land" in San Carlos. OSH, HomeDepot, Lowe's hardware selection now 'streamlined' and shadow if its former self.

Still wondering about logistics of 'free shipping' hardware superstore. What are real costs of sending a 'kid' or robot to put a bolt in bag and mail it USPO. Are all those Ebay-ers actually "losing money" if they value their time at $5/hr?

Grainger, Fastneal,BoltDepot etc seem to be more or less equal competitors, and all have min of $5+ shipping for smallest cheapest items.

6. BobE

BobE Junior Member