Where in England can I build a boat?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by pontoonmatt, Feb 6, 2024.

1. pontoonmatt

pontoonmatt Junior Member

Hi

I need somewhere to build a 4.5 x 14.5 m pontoon boat. It'll need the ability to hoist ~10 tonnes into the water with coastal access. Will need access for occasional delivery lorries. Expecting uncovered space, though access to some cover for items that need it would be useful. Will be no more than 2 months until ready to put on water. Won't/can't be a "oops it's taken 2 years" project.

I've tried southampton area marinas, but they're not interested. A mix of lack of space (I know many boats are still ashore at this time) and it's too much hassle for them (worries about disruption, health and safety). I understand, why should they rent out a space to a complicated customer when they get the same money from someone who just wants to park their boat there.

Boat structural and stability being signed-off by naval architects prior to build starting, if that matters.

Really need to be able to start in March, but could maybe manage April.

Not after discussion about my boat plans, more reasons why marinas don't want me there, why I should stop right now or why I'm doing things wrong without offering an actually better alternative (I know how internet conversations go and I've had enough negativity from this project elsewhere) - just looking for location suggestions from personal knowledge and are more than just knowing where marinas are on a map. In England (or Wales) only, and preferably in the south. No alternative country suggestions, obviously. Yes, I've spent months on google.

Building inland and hauling it to the water by lorry will be a massive headache and cost but in theory could be done (if I make it 4.3m wide anyway) but I'd probably end up having to scrap the whole thing if there's nowhere by the water to build a boat on this expensive and frustrating island.

Sorry this isn't cheerful. Before people say it's my attitude that's the problem, it's one of those weeks already and we've all had ones like that!

Thanks

Matt

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

3. pontoonmatt

pontoonmatt Junior Member

I don't seem to have the option to "like" a post here but consider this liked! Thanks, I'll check it out.