What's Next

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Southern Cross, Mar 21, 2013.

1. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

That's very similar in concept to one of my folding designs but mine was more conventional-looking and was intended to have the seaworthiness and paddling characteristics of a canoe. I was looking at rigid (or rather semi-rigd) skin concepts at the time as an offshoot of a plywood design I had built. I came to the conclusion that a flexible skin over a folding frame with no removable parts, except perhaps the seat, was a better way to go but tanked over the complexity.

2. Southern Cross

Southern Cross Senior Member

Just a trim tab but it changes the shape of the hull. I think they could be onto something.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. maxxxlogan

maxxxlogan The Nutty Engineer....

4. maxxxlogan

maxxxlogan The Nutty Engineer....

I've been working on something like this, but a bit more elaborate. Is in the design stage still, been at it for a while.

5. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I was working on a folding canoe design once. Rather than trying to make it collapse into a tiny bag I conceived a rigid hull that hinged in the middle, aft of the cockpit, held straight for paddling by one or two latches, but able to be carried easily inside a minivan or hatchback.

In the event of a spill the paddle could release the latch(es) and bend the aft part of the hull at right-angles stabilize the canoe for easier re-entry. Re-entering a canoe can be a somewhat athletic endeavour for elderly paddlers like myself . . .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.