whats going on with China

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by watchkeeper, Nov 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

That happens alot. Japan, Germany, just about any country that loses a war.

Hypothetically, if the US was to go to war against China, it would seem to immediately eliminate our debt to them and also fuel a resurgence of manufacturing here. They may have bought our debt, but we have their money.

2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Personally, I think the intertwining of financial and commercial interests in the global economy is a safety net. One major power can't attack another without hurting its own self-interest.... we not only have China's money; we're a major market. Their economy would be screwed if they couldn't sell to us.

Think about it: if Japanese companies had been selling millions of dollars worth of cars in the US each year. along with electronics and cameras, and if Japan had been importing massive amounts of American rice, would there have been a Pearl Harbor? I doubt it.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

SamSam, there are some folks pushing that rhetoric.

But, I think China only has about 1 trillion of our 16.5 trillion debt. And they are moving away from the Dollar as quickly as they can.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-11/china-s-u-s-debt-holdings-aren-t-threat-pentagon-says.html

And the dollar is like, but unlike gold. When you have a trillion just setting there collecting dust, what do you do with it? That is the real threat. They could EASILY finance militants in the USA like the USA did during ARAB SPRING ....

Destabilization is destabilization.

And they could then buy California at fire sale prices, and Alaska's oil reserves.

WW3 is economic .... I think.

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Again, destabilizing the US would be in complete disregard of China's own financial and economic interests. I see no reason why they would want to do so.

Besides, I remember when Japan was sinking money into the US, back in the eighties. Remember when reality caught up to them, and they realized they were overpaying and getting skinned alive? For example, the Mitsubishi Estate Company eventually just walked away from its $2 billion stake in the Rockefeller Center.:)

5. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

All we need to do is stop sending them food and energy,and they are back to feudal times within 2 weeks.

Reminds me of years ago...an older fellow I was friends with was quite in debt to banks-over business loans/ LCs and business was slow-to the tune of $7 million.

I asked him how he slept,with all that stress and worry and his words I have never forgotten: "It's their money-let them worry about it"

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I was shaking my head at Trump's wheeling and dealing and rewriting his loans, etc. a few years ago, and my older brother said, "it's a matter of scale. If you owe the bank $10,000 and can't pay, you have a problem. If you owe them $10 million and can't pay, they have a problem."

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Your kidding! I don't believe you really think that.

8. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

I live in DDA - Dalian Development Area and 8k from one major port area that has one refinery. The Tank farm holding crude reserves covers an area roughly 3k x 2k has the biggest tanks I've seen anywhere including middle east. There's probably enough oil to run NZ for a couple of years and this is just one of many.

If China was isolated through an embargo of the Iran scale it would probably take a year for the effects of oil embargo to make any kind of impact. Loss of rice & grain imports would probably have the first noticable affect after 6 months or more. China could sustain in a manner the US couldn't because the govt here would just ban certain activities like use of private cars.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

ROFL!

A carless Beijing?

I gotta hand it to you. That is hilarious.

10. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

11. watchkeeper

Beijing governor already have carless days - based on number plates. When the previous loony toon leader from NK use to visit Dalian all freeways and major roads were blocked, city cleared of traffic for duration of visit.

When these guys say something is a no no, people here dont have an option

12. watchkeeper

13. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

I would think many shipyards and suppliers of luxury goods are nervously reconsidering their business plans.

Football teams may collapse.

14. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

South Korea as well ....

So people bought more cars ....

The Asian people are INGENIOUS at how to get around bureaucracy .... If they could teach us how to deal with our governments, life would be so much easier.

IMHO.

15. watchkeeper

A few Beijing wealthy purchased second cars but for 99% private car owners one is all the debt they can afford.

Cost of living in Beijing, Shanghai, Guanzhoa is no cheaper than Auckland, Sydney or LA but salaries are 12-15% of those cities.

Chinese don't deal with govt, they know how to live with less on their plate and they have quanxi - means their personal network of contacts to get stuff...bit like a lobbiest buying a congressman

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.