whats going on with China

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by watchkeeper, Nov 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myark

myark Senior Member

:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YZrnp15tgs

2. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

The country does have potential but as you said has a ways to go. In our city region there were eleven shipyards big and small all building various commercial vessels now only two have continuous work. The rest are closed and the land probably reclaimed for residential development.

My job requires me to come back to manage any boats we build in our alliance yard but I've no interest in living here full time any longer. As you probably noticed too there is a growing resentment against expats in some regions, writings on the wall.

3. myark

myark Senior Member

Originally Posted by watchkeeper

Unfortunately there is nothing nice about China

Country is a tip, polluted, corrupt, the foods polluted with chemicals, cheating is main stream business culture, and dishonety accepted as everyday normal.

I'm relocating (permently) for new company projects in two months.

4. myark

myark Senior Member

This is my view from my apartment in China which around the next bay on the right is Hong Kong.

The food is locally grown and the fish comes straight from the sea each day so every things fresh with honest kind people who smile at me every time I walk past which I have lived in this village for 7 years.

The factories I develop my designs in are over honest which I have never been shortchanged the 7 years I have known them.

I am disturbed about watchmaker’s criticism of China and its people as I am paying 500 rmb a month for a large 3 bedroom apartment on a beach front that is not a tip and with the landlord trusting and honest as you can get.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      346.6 KB
      Views:
  5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Its a dangerous habit to stereotype people or cultures. Its easy to consider all Australians to be drunks looking for a fight ...we all know this is ridiculous.

There is no doubt that all forms of pollution have been out of control in China for years . Read about the Great Pacific Trash Vortex.

Obviously the source of this mess is not solely China, but China is the biggest producer of household garbage in the world.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia...hina-s-prosperity-grows-so-do-its-trash-piles

Hopefully the Chinese can get to grips with this problem.

6. myark

myark Senior Member

Its the same with the USA

7. michael pierzga

I think youre wrong.

In the US , in Europe , there is a deep environmental awareness. Simply look at the issues like offshore drilling, Arctic drilling, gold mining, storm runoff, eutrophication, wildlife management, removing dams from rivers to establish salmon, turtle excluders on fishing nets......the list is endless

I expect China to rapidly adopt this level of awareness and policy .

8. myark

myark Senior Member

With the upcoming population exlosion and every growing pollution not only China but India and the rest.
    Sorry to sound negative but I feel It’s too late and we will need to reap what we have sown as the population is not going to give up its greed and materialism as we are lice on dogs back and eventually the dog will die as the cure I think has expired.
    I hope I am wrong for my children sake.

9. myark

myark Senior Member

An example of the New Zealand’s so called clean green image is the picture I have attached of a pulp mill factory in Kawarua that shows the ponds that are between a river and the factory tat are pumped full of black smelly tixic wast that take the colour from the wood when made into pulp.

The river is crystal clear up steam then turns black when it passes the ponds.

I was building a 10. Folding barge in-between this pond and the factory and slept at the factory at night with my dog and carefully took the pictures.
    My dog died of cancer not long after as he swam in the river.

Each night trucks would secretly pump the toxic waste into these ponds that would flood as really they are meant to dry out in the sun but there is too much waste by a hundred times so what they are doing making large pyramids shapes holes deep into ground and pump the flooded ponds into this which the toxic waste drain into the water table and seep into the river next to it turning a crystal clear water into a black river.

The Government is fully aware of this and it still happening but is now up stream in a lesser scale hidden on private land but the river still runs black.

New Zealand Green - giggle giggle snort

Attached Files:

10. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Watchkeeper,

Thank you for starting this thread. I appreciate the opportunity to gain some insight into parts of the world that I've never visited.

I hope you'll continue this discussion sometime in the future. I enjoyed reading it.

Regards,

MIA

11. michael pierzga

Id expect New Zealand to have its environmental issues. All countries have them. I recommend that New Zealand voters tackle these issues promptly.

Can I expect Chinese voters to tackle their issues ?

12. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

Thats one of the crux issues in China, people don't have a voice especially if the issue involves an invested financial interest of local politician, provence governor etc.
    Unfortunately this is the reallity in 90% of polution situations, or something that is to the disavantage of the poplace.

The infant food manufacturer bulking up production with melamine for more than a year after being caught and not punished did the exact same thing a year later - because he had influential friends.

The Mayor's son who backs his car over a 7yr old girl 4 times killing her avoids being charged.

Another politicians young adult son throws acid in the face of a girl because she said no avoids court.

Then at the street level, Chinese truck drivers - 70% drunken killers on wheels -
    a schoolgirl drops her books walking along the road (footpath blocked with parked cars) bends over but a passing truck taps her knocking her over.
    The driver stops sees she's alive but maybe injured so backs up over her head to kill her - blood money is less than paying hospital bills for yrs.

Its hard to be sympathetic or feel as one with a people capable of such inhumane indifference but thats the way they are raised - me first me first.

13. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Well having personally been to the same region of China, Dalian, several years ago and the day I arrived there had been a massive and I mean massive oil spill in the harbour, I can confirm his comments. There was no clean up...no real news about it..it was...well, "it happens". The smell of crude oil from the harbour into down town was evident for the whole week I was there, and that was 1 month after the spill. It was very unhealthy, many people coughing..and badly.
    ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-10708375 )

The other thing I could smell, was the money. Loads of rich people driving high end Audi's Merc's etc...yet around every corner, many struggling to survive. I wondered about and looked at the price of the real estate, I was shocked. It was EU/Western prices...only available to those in their high end cars, not the masses.

I love tea and went shopping for tea. The same tea was cheaper much cheaper in Singapore than in Dalian...and it was Chinese home grown tea!!

China is a huge country with many regional variations. HK has its "over flow" locally and I would not say it is wholly representative of China.

As a corollary. There is real, very real poverty in the US, some towns totally decimated in recent years..yet no one thinks of the US as being poor.

14. myark

myark Senior Member

China population is 1.3 billion so for one to pick out crimes and high light them that is easy as it’s easy to pick out starvation which is more so such as thousands of children die each day why we sit back and get fat.
    The area I have lived for 7 years I have never experienced a crime happening although it’s out there for sure as I am warned about pick pockets on the bus also or in another city I was told while at a factory to keep and eye on my son as people steal children.

3 months ago I went to Guangzhou I could not sleep so went for a walk on the back streets where if there was crime that would be the place but all I saw was lone women walking back from nightshift work which you would do in New Zealand.
    I have seen plenty of death on the roads or at a bus station a young man had just been run over by a huge bus sitting on his head with the front wheel till the police arrived mean time we had to step over his brains that popped out all over the walk way which no one seemed to worry.

You cannot judge nation on other peoples crimes as that’s fear mongering and the police do a great job and give them the highest respect.

Justices is swift in China as if found guilty for some crimes it’s the death sentence which I think many readers may of saw on the internet women getting a bullet to the back of their head as they are lined up to be shot one by one for crimes that if in NZ would be a short jail sentence.

I have attached a picture of a small boy I helped 10 years ago who was having a mental fit in the middle of the road and no one would help him which a foreigner said why did not someone help him, I replied, I am someone and called a Taxi who wanted to place him in the boot of the car because he was filthy and stunk so paid the taxi extra and put the boy on my knee.
    He ate from rubbish bins and pissed in his food before he ate this and could not talk and acted like a wild monkey and several times a week had trance like system as if a devil took over his body.

I gave the boy pills to kill worms and he passed large a can of worms from his body.

My wife and I sheltered the boy and educated him to be human for 7 months but we had to leave China so we went and saw the assistant director of Shenzhen social welfare who accepted the boy in a new orphanage which is modern and to see children at that orphanage of just walking age walking in a line of 30 been led holding hands in a train style was sad to see.

That was over 10 years ago but its changing as the pockets of the people wages are changing and a domestic market is booming such as an example the lady that shipped my goods last month from China is in a club that raises money for such children.

Attached Files:

15. myark

myark Senior Member

My wife and I have never much money and work on a shoe string budget but I cannot walk past suffering in China which is downfall in my business that is self-funded.
    A lady said to me the other month after she saw me buy a feast for a man who had a rag ***** up like nappies for pants, that I brought tears to her eyes and that a foreigner was doing kindness and felt ashamed Chinese people where not doing the same.
    However, I feel the same about foreigners who 99.9 % who are rich would walk past that man in need.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.