What's For X-mas

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by 8knots, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Then I could get that lobster boat I've been wanting

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

"Then I could get that lobster boat I've been wanting"

Heehee... That's as good a reason as any (or not...)

Steve

3. 8knots

8knots A little on the slow side

Will: whats the Gist of this one?
    "Another Good-un is Renato Levi's Dhows to Delta's"
    I have not heard of this one.

I was thinking on the lists others have posted and thoughtof this one
    V Bottom boat building by Sucher. Sail has seen this one I'm sure
    and the many books Howard Chappele has done "I can never remember how to spell his name" I have read the spine off my original copys and have had to replace them. Those books are filled with lines for classic work boats, maybe thats why I'm so slow to change my drawing style. The big trawler I am working on is as far outside the box as I can get. I envy those that can make the modern space boats look so good.
    Tad ... How are those William Garden books that you have? He published the lines in a 1994 copy of WB I have for a 27' pacific northwest salmon trawler named "Pollywog" I have allways loved that boat! When I get burned out on my big boats I find myself saying "Why don't you just build Pollywog and go fishin ...
    I would like to see some of his other power boat designs. Those might be a winner for the Santa list:)
    Happy doodling 8Knots

4. SailDesign

8knots - Levi's "dhows to Deltas is one of THE great books on powerboats (as distinct from Motor Boats). Sonny was the "big name" around the 60s for offshore racing powerboats, and did some gorgeous yachts as well.
    I still lust after Surfury and Barbarina (the boat as well as the movie ;-))

Steve

5. BrettM

BrettM Senior Member

Steve, Just pulled my copy off the shelf to refresh my memory. More of an autobiography than a design manual Hence the subtitle "A designers saga" on the front cover.

Some interesting ideas throughout with plenty of drawing details included. Some great pics of old raceboats flying though the air etc.

Surfury is my (older) associates favourite all time boat.
    Brett

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Mr. 8;

Dhows to Deltas is all high-speed boats, a couple of sailboats, and an airplane. What is great about the book is that Sonny has published the real drawings, in some cases all of the drawings for a particular boat. And he admits mistakes and what was learned from such.

The Garden books are full of displacement powerboats, but also include high-speed planing boats and sailing vessels. There are two "Polywogs" down here, one is currently for sale at an astronomical price. The other my uncle charters every summer for his anual cruise, she's a nice little boat.

See her here

All the best, Tad

7. BrettM

BrettM Senior Member

I must've got the bonus edition - I've got two airplanes!

8. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Quote "I envy those that can make the modern space boats look so good."

Yeah, but most boat lovers still fall for classic styling in the end! It's blending the two I wish I could do.:cool:

Attached Files:

9. SailDesign

"It's blending the two I wish I could do."

Don't we all? The trick, I think, is to draw a bit of everything, and hope that someday it will all come together. I hope!

Steve

10. 8knots

8knots A little on the slow side

The "Delta's" book seems a little to fast for me as Will said. If it gets better than 10 kts it will blow right by me. I have my little brain cell workin on doin 8 let alone the problems of going fast.
    As far as mixing the old with the new my someday dreadnought will have the more modern trawler yacht exterior but the inside will have mahogany raised panels brocade fabrics and the like. Sort of like a gentlemans smoking room or your lawyers office:rolleyes: I want to sit in that wheelhouse in a Harris tweed and smoke my pipe! ahhh scratch that had to quit. I'll drink coffee instead. Im a salesmans dream when it comes to outfitting her with electronics. anything that beeps or blinks......I think that guy will end up with the BMW he has allways wanted. polished SS for the engine room if you please and a big white Lugger diesel front and center. more switches and valves than you can shake stick at! Not really the practical world cruiser with all the modern junk to break down but I really only want to take her from AK on around to Maine. I will be In a walker by then you see!

Tad Thanks for the link to the Pollywog Iv'e spent many an hour trying to envision her. I have thought of lofting in one more station to gain a real head. Thats my only gripe with her. I think she would be a great first build if your a woodie go slow guy!
    Keep them pencils sharp 8Knots

11. Chris Grayer

Chris Grayer Guest

I wrote an article on "Surfury" that was published in Classic Boat magazine in May 2001. I saw her race in both 1967 and 1968 - surely the most elegant of all the classic offshore racers of the 1960's? Surfury is now the property of the National Maritime Museum & kept in Basildon, Essex, UK. Also see Sonni Levi fantastic book on Deltas etc "Milestones of my Designs" from where I grafted some of the article.Plenty of info on all his designs including many photos & cutaways.
    If you would like any further info, the original "Surfury"article text - photos (past & present)etc I will gladly send them to anybody interested. My EMail address chris.grayer@btinternet.com. I have tried to raise interest in the UK to refurbish "Surfury" but unfortunately have gained little interest as for some reason maritime racing boats have never gained the same credence as automotive racing classics.

12. yipster

yipster designer