What year model is this outboard. Merc' classic 40hp

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by djaus, Sep 19, 2013.

1. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

Help please.What year model is this outboard. Merc' classic 40hp

20130917_184711.jpg 20130713_140538.jpg 20130713_140547.jpg

20130713_140557.jpg 20130713_140613.jpg

This motor is a 4 cylinder 2 stroke. There's a sticker on the engine casing that states '87 but I'm not sure if this is build year date.

I have done a search on Mercury's website but they have no information for this model. I used the serial number to search but found no results.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Classic 40 ? The so called classic 50 was a 4-cylinder and around for many years, I'd say yours was based on that one, there are precious few, if any, other outboards that have that many cylinders and produce such low hp, but of course they are pretty small bore. Yours may have been the last time that block was in their product offering. When the 50hp 4-cylinder was available, their 40 hp was a twin cylinder. Find the last model year for the 40hp twin, and yours will be later than that.

3. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

In my opinion this was one of the finest outboards ever made. Quiet like a 4-stroke and it could start from an almost empty battery.
    I had one in the early 70's already, so '87 seems a bit odd to me because at that time Mercury already had decided it was too expensive to build and changed course. There also was a straight 6 with 70 and 90 hp with the same bore if I remember correctly.

5. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

Thanks folks & to PhilSweet for the link.
    I think I've looked at that site before but I'll double check my Merc's serial number & have another look.

6. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

any dealer can run the serial number and get all the data

7. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

look at the bands, it is 87 or at least late 80's. i agree cdk they are an excellent engine, super smooth idle.

8. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

did a quick search and found lots of info on the 40 hp 4 cylinder. 1 site says they ran the model from 1989 to the late 90's.

9. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

Correct Whtepointer. From '89 to '91. We must have found the same site.

Also, Powerabout, the serial number was a fruitless search result, no local dealers have it on their systems.

The part numbers for impellers (& other items) on Marine parts.com are American & only suit sierra/Mariner models. (I've no idea what they are!)
    That site does show ALL Mercury models though, of which the 40hp/4cyl /2 stroke is almost a stand alone model. (no variants on these- a one off)
    My local Merc' dealers produced a part number :89983 (impeller only)

I'm getting one on Thursday for only $27.70.
    Two other local dealers wanted almost $50 for the same part. It pay's to shop around.

Thanks again for your input folks.
    Talk about a crash course, I feel like I've been reading books as fast as Johnny 5 (NOVA robot in the movie Short circuit)

10. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

Also, for those of you that are unaware, this motor is attached to a 16ft Hartley Flareline that I just spent the last 2 months rebuilding. See Boatbuilding forum/Wooden boat construction section right here on Boatdesign.net

My posts contain links to YouTube so you can watch the rebuild if you so desire.

11. Djf57

Djf57 New Member

Hi I am new to this. I too have a Mercury Classic 40HP Oil Injected

I cannot find a serial number on my Mercury Classic 40. Can any one help with pictures if possible. Thanks

12. kirkp

kirkp New Member

13. Djf57

Djf57 New Member

Hi sorry if this in the wrong place, I am a newbie.. I have an old Merc 40HP Classic which I am trying to find out what year. I have been told the serial no. Is printed on the transom bracket. Nothing on mine. It looks the very same as the pictures put up by member adjust. Please can anyone help?

14. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Post a photo of the powerhead

15. Djf57

Djf57 New Member

Hi power about here is a photo of the power head

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.