What would your choice of materials be?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by maxd, Oct 25, 2017.

1. maxd

maxd New Member

Hi Guys, I usually build houses but I have decided to do something like this. I love the look.

sprenger von der lippe: houseboat on the eilbek canal https://www.designboom.com/architecture/sprenger-von-der-lippe-houseboat-on-the-eilbek-canal/

If you were to make a replica of this, what materials would you use for the hull/pontoon, ground floor and top floor? My metal guy says he would do the bottom from steel and the top aluminum.

Also I know nothing about displacement and the hull strength to support such a structure, is this easy to calculate?

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

You, who build houses, know what material you would prefer to use for the superstructure. I would make the hull of the same material.
    For displacement and calculations of the structure, the most practical thing is that you contact with a naval architect. It is not difficult to calculate, but a professional will give you security.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

A lot of those houseboats use concrete for the bottom.

From an expense and insulation point of view, wood could be a strong contender for the top.

DGreenwood likes this.
  4. maxd

maxd New Member

OK thank you wise ones. So concrete it is then for the hull. I did a quick look for this and it is a polystyrene core with rebar and a particular type of additive in the concrete. Would I be a fool attempting to do this myself? It looks like it is going to set me back 20-30k euros for this size from a quick look around the pontoon companies.

Yes as for the insulation I would use OSB + spray insulation foam on the inside, maybe even another 10 cm polystyrene on the outside as winters get cold where I live. The fancy external cladding would be similar to the picture. The windows would be triple glazed with aluminum frames.

One more question if I could. I am trying to secure a long-term mooring so it would be pretty much in the same place for 10 years I hope. To get from A to B it is better to get towed rather than build in my own engine I guess. Engine use once every 10 years is not a good use of money.

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I suspect you could locate someone experienced in ferro-cement boats to oversee the operation. The "additive" most used is Pozzolan or "fly-ash" which is a waste product from coal powered power stations. There are a large number of additional additives available.

Do they have PVC frames in your area ? Aluminium tends to carry heat out, unless its got a substantial thermal break system.

Yeah, that's the real problem.

You might be better off getting a block of land in the country, build a house this style and put a moat around it. Houseboats are a pain to locate unless you have a lot of flooded land like Holland.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.