What would cost such a "aquarium" barge ?

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by philgib, Nov 5, 2008.

1. philgib

philgib Junior Member

[​IMG]

Thanks to MarshMat and MikeJohn for their input

This is for a special use but with a very basic shape :

- Constant 30 inches draft for underwater windows (I will take care of the windows)
    - 5.85 meters long at the top
    - 5.20 meters long at the bottom
    - 2.30 m high
    - All made in 6mm
    - Strong top structure so that a few people could walk on it without the metal to bow.
    - Bow at the front (instead of the vertical flat showing on this drawing)
    - The 2 sides must be rigid enough to stand the important pressure of a 30 inches cm draft.
    - My understanding is that the displacement would be about 13 m3. Would a 12 cm steel sheet welded inside the barge as a layer on the completely flat bottom be enough to act as a good keel and weigh enough on the boat to maintain the 30 inches draft ? Could anything cheaper than steel be used ?
    - Completely empty inside (structure should be right below the very top or inside the bottom keel

Dimensions are such that the barge can fit into a 20' container and can be sent to me.

Would any of you have an idea of approximate weight and building price ?
    Of course PMs are welcome.

Thanks a lot

Philippe

2. philgib

philgib Junior Member

Goal is to obtain my little design :

[​IMG]

I have never designed a floating boat before. Does that one makes sense ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.