Weight Estimates

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by high510, Jun 9, 2014.

1. high510

high510 Junior Member

What is the weight of a square foot of 1/4 inch cedar plank glassed on each side with 4oz glass and epoxy?? Is there a site that could run me through the method to determine this?? I want to know how much a shell I plan to make out of some Franken-plans should weigh. Franken-plans are plans from lots of boat schematics coming together in one plan, a hull from these plans, cockpit from pantograph of a Hudson, etc.)

Thanks for info.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What kind of cedar? The physical specifications for most of the common species can be found in several places and is typically a cubic foot weight, both wet and dry. The general range for the cedars would be from 24 to 32 pounds per cu. ft., so this is a pretty wide range and a specific species would be necessary. The math is pretty easy, just divide by 48 (the number of 1/4" layers in a cu. ft. of cedar.

The same is true of sheathings, except you'll typically double the fabric weight (which is per yard BTW) to include the resin. There are more precise ways to calculate laminates, but considering your plans approach (my assumption), this will get you close enough.

Begin your search here:

www.wood-database.com/wood-identification

Can you explain your Franken plans a little further, as it sounds like a serious set of mistakes, just waiting to happen. You do realize that different plans use different engineering approaches, so loads and stresses are handled differently.

3. high510

high510 Junior Member

Plans

My plans are one of two ideas. I may take contour measurements every foot on a single Maas or a FISA single to make forms for the planks. And then use the layout of their cockpit. Already have 80's era slider, seat and foot stretcher.

Or use some drawings I have of Kaschper and retro the Maas cockpit layout into it. Figured the riggers placement to put the oars in the same location as on the Maas (front to back measurement).

I need to work out details, especially the cockpit, but assumed that the basic geometry of cockpit placement, rigger height and placement and the skeg would mimic the Maas.

Still drawing...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.