what will happen when a hurricane hits Gulf spill?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Squidly-Diddly, May 23, 2010.

1. mudman

mudman Junior Member

Does anyone even know if they used drilling mud? I heard that they used seawater instead of mud to save on costs. (I could be wrong but that's what "they" say) Don't know if it was BP's call or Transocean, but that's just what I heard. I heard the Company man on board questioned it and the transocean supervisor said that they do it all the time with seawater. Is it even possible to drill a well of that depth without mud?

2. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Soviets used nuke to seal gas blowout.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-a-nuke-could-plug-the-oil-well-2010-5

I hear that Saddam used conventional depth charges on off-shore well, but couldn't find it right away.

Obama is BP's "boy" because they paid him a million dollars which he spent and can't now 'give back'. Did BP pay him a cool million out of admiration for Community Organizing in Chicago slums or something else?

"Complexity is Corruption's twin brother" said some ancient Greek and its is more true today than every before. When was the last time you heard our press expose any of the massive tax giveaways in any meaningful way. They are all crafted to hide were the money is really going, and it is all oblique and boring enough that the public CAN'T care, unless they want to send 4 years of full time work unraveling one of 1000s of amendments.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I heard that was a failure.

4. mudman

mudman Junior Member

No hoyt, I know the "top kill" effort failed. I'm talking about what caused the well casing to rupture in the first place. I know it was a gas pocket (probably upwards of 50,000 psi) but the well casing with drilling mud should have prevented a rupture. Alot of the stuff that happens downhole is Black Magic to me, I'm just trying to get a better idea of what happens during drilling operations.

Squid, there are 2 rigs turning to the right in the GOM now just as shown in the video. BP and other experts believe that the relief wells will work without the use of a nuke. Now a days we can intercept the well. Not as primitive as a nuke, but it will be as effective.

In the 60's the US government wanted to find a way to recover heavy oil. The answer was a 7 kiloton warhead downhole. The idea was that it would heat the oil and create a cavity for the oil to collect in also so that it could be produced. The idea was abandoned by th US government.

BP contributed to Obama's campaign. That does not make him "their boy." That's what they would like to think, but I personally don't think that Obama's loyalties lie with BP.

The government has nothing to do with fixing this problem. Obama likes to think that he can do something, but he and the rest of capitol hill are lawmakers, nothing more. Every Expert imaginable is on the case. The more the government stays out, the quicker this will be taken care of. They need to get out of the way now and let my man Nunguesser rebuild the Barrier Islands. Hell, they built entire cities on manmade islands in Dubai. We could save Louisiana's wetlands if the government would get out of the way and let us dredge up some sand.

Oil boom won't cut it. Anything more than a 2 foot chop and it is ineffective.

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

what will happen when a hurricane hits Gulf spill?

a mess..........

...... not deserved by the nature and the people suffering from it.
    But well deserved by the ****** causing it. And thats, unfortunately, established in the entire US system.

US governement threatened BP to take over control a week ago?

Well, in Norway or Great Britain that would make a good joke.

Cheapest fuel possible at ALL risk (even wars), is the policy. Not loosing a single vote is the policy.

All the rest is labba, labba

It is a pity for all the folks and nature spoilt, but exactly what that shitty system deserves. Find out how much it can hurt when you fu(k every rule and common sense.

Ah, and let me say sorry for the innocent lives lost at the blowout.

my 2c

6. mark775

mark775 Guest

Don't make me stop buying BMWs.

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Hmm, was not my intention, but have no shares in either BMW nor BP.

And the S class is still the better car.:cool:

8. mudman

mudman Junior Member

A wake up call is needed for the system. Most oil companies do practice safety and do not cut corners though. A few bend or just plain out disreguard the rules and safe work practices. BP is know for being cheap to increse profit.

Even with that said, the US government taking over would be the worst thing to happen, but the mob is screaming "why won't the government help?" So our government......I mean the US government (I don't claim them anymore) stands up and says "we're going to take this over". The US government is just plain inefficient and has no idea how to stop this.

A wake up call is needed, but sorry to say that this spill won't change anything, except for the the families that lost their fathers, the acres of wetlands destroyed, the sealife killed,, and the ruined heritages of the Gulf coast. All else will continue as "normal".

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

The present regime in concert with the rabid environ-mental-ists have forced drilling into deeper and deeper water where the risks rise exponentially. They are responsible for this disaster because of their radical environ-mental policies.

10. mark775

mark775 Guest

Two thing that I know that the US government was involved with; They had the fireboats spray water on the fire until it sunk the ship and caused the entire problem after the explosion, and they would not give Bobby Jindal the permits to build sand barriers along his coast.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2010/06/01/jindal.oil.spill.remarks.tuesday.wwl

On every other point, they simply got in the way. I repeat that the Feds could do something like put hundreds of bulldozers along the coast and build a sand wall, then bill BP, or something of that nature but they cannot get in the way of experts. Barack is doing the best he has EVER done at anything - talk and talk tough. Put a soapy rag in the asswipe's hand and get him cleaning birds. He has no business running anything.

11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Do you realize how irrational that sounds, Mark? I mean, come on...."They had the fireboats spray water on the fire until it sunk the ship and caused the entire problem after the explosion...":p :p :p

Tell me: what do you think the rig would done if they hadn't been spraying it with water and fighting the fire? It would done exactly what it did anyway: kept burning until it sank.

It was a drilling platform, not a ballasted ship that sank because they filled it full of water.....sheesh.

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Of course they used drilling mud. Seawater isn't heavy enough to hold back that kind of pressure, which is why the oil is spewing out now. The problem came after they poured the cement plug, when they started recovering the mud and replacing it with sea water--which is standard procedure.

But you're supposed to make sure the frikken plug is strong enough to hold first....the guys who made that call probably died in the explosion. If not, they have some explaining to do.

13. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Obama didn't get 'a cool million' from BP. He received $77,051 from BP and its employees during his time in the Senate and while running for president. In total, the firm has given $3.5 milllion to federal candidates over the past 20 years.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/36783.html

And you're claiming Obama alone got a million? Tell me: do you just make this stuff up, or are you listening to someone else who just makes it up?

I don't understand why you think depth charges would seal a well, instead of blowing it wider open. And as far a using a nuke goes, sure--let's add radiation to the oil spill. What a great idea!

If you really think 535 members of Congress and the President could sneak special tax breaks for BP into law with no one noticing, and without the Republicans (and the other oil companies) screaming bloody murder, you're a lower-watt bulb than most conspiracy buffs. And as a group, they don't twinkle all that brightly in the night....;)

14. mark775

mark775 Guest

It actually was a ship, Troy, a ballasted ship. that was sunk by water.

15. mudman

mudman Junior Member

It is true that the first rule of firefighting is to stop the source of the fire first. What mark is trying to say is (I think), if the fire was not put out then the fire would still be burning and therefore no spill.

A poor theory since the fire was put out in an attampt to save the vessel and hold the riser in place. A fire or spill on the surface is much easier to control than something a mile down. The fire needed to be put out to save the vessel and keep the spill at the surface.

Putting out the fire did not sink the Horizon. The fire was an unfortunate accident, and the vessel sank, though we did attampt to save it in order to better control the breach in the well.