what will happen when a hurricane hits Gulf spill?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Squidly-Diddly, May 23, 2010.

1. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Ok,

A little realty when it comes to the legal situation in the gulf.

TransOcean is trying to use the shipowners limit of liability found in most Maritime law. However it probably (most definatly) won't work, since for that law to apply the owners of the vessel must be unaware of the situation leading to the loss. Since the vessel exploded while drilling and it was chartered for drilling.... The practical effect of this is that it will likely move all of the litigation from scattered federal courts around the country to one court in Houston, allowing one judge to control the flurry of litigation tha has already arrisen from the spill.

BP does have a 75 million dollar limit of liability but only for direct economic damages. However this liability is likely to be raised to 5 billion soon.

BP however does not have a cap on the clean up costs from the spill. So assuming the costs are high enough it is possible that BP would be forced into bankruptcy in order to pay for it.

The company that manufactured the blow out preventer has already agreed to pay 500 million towards either clean up or economic damages, which is the limit of its liability insurance, and there are doubts that the company has any more significant assets.

There are about 50 other companies with varying degrees of liability and assets which have not yet been investigated, but most of the insurance carriers have already assumed that they will be on the hook for the policy limits that they have.

2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

And what does that have to do with the oil spill?:confused:

I know some people will seize on any opportunity to bash Obama, but you're pretty far adrift with that one...:rolleyes:

You Obamaphobes should really go start your own forum--where you can blame everything up to and including the fall of the Roman Empire on Obama, and leave the rest of us alone.

3. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

I did not Make the Ad.

The Ad is about Oil

Just shared it.

[​IMG]

Obama caused the fall of the Roman Empire?

Wee Doggies, I guess you kin leart something every day.

4. MatthewDS

MatthewDS Senior Member

@Troy2000
    Think of it this way. When a person is caught drunk driving, they lose their car, and their license. It doesn't matter if people depend upon them, or if they need that car to get to work. The same should be true for corporations.
    BP has a history of "accidents" here in Alaska as well, which mostly are caused by poor maintenance and lack of preventative measures.

The problem with BP is that it is cheaper for them to continue paying minor fines when they have an "accident" than it is to have controls in place to prevent accidents in the first place. It's a simple cost benefit analysis, if it's cheaper to spill oil than to prevent spills, they will spill the oil.

If our representatives were to ball up and make it expensive for BP and the like to spill oil, suddenly, BP would find a way to prevent accidents like this one.

I'm not actually in favor of nationalization, what I am in favor of is a system that makes it so expensive to fail that these corporations actually make an effort to prevent accidents like this from happening.

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I agree with your assessment of BP. They don't have a good corporate culture. They have a long history of running on the cheap and trying to rely on the odds, instead of doing preventive maintenance and following proper procedures. And they need to be hit hard enough to seriously get their attention, for a change.

I just think it should be somewhere this side of the death penalty. Leave 'em skinny, but not dead.

One of the depressing things about bad players like BP is that they bring down over-regulation and micromanagement upon the whole industry.

I work for a natural gas utility, and I can tell you we have a list of irrational procedures, safeguards and regulations several miles long to follow, every time we venture out to do a job. And almost every bleeping thing on that list is probably a result of someone in the industry not doing his job right to begin with.

6. MatthewDS

MatthewDS Senior Member

@Troy2000

Fair enough, I'm going to mark this one down as an agreement. :)

Cheers,
    -Matthew

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

So, we shouldn't use our assets to protect our own shoreline, but when Haiti goes belly up we are to spend our treasure there? When do our citizens get helped when we foot the bill?

8. hoytedow

Don't you dare criticize BP. Al Gore owns stock in it.

9. Redtick

Redtick Junior Member

On Letterman last night, a biologist suggested that a hurricane may be the best thing, he said a little oil everywhere is better than a lot of oil in just one place. Natural recovery would be faster.

10. DrCraze

DrCraze Junior Member

We should all write to the president and ask him to fire up HAARP and dial in a hurricane over the gulf:p

11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

What unused assets does the US government keep on hand for containing oil spills and shutting down blowouts? Does it have stockpiles of oil booms, shovels and drilling platforms stashed somewhere that it's refusing to release?

Or would you just rather see all the equipment and manpower in use being paid for with tax dollars, instead of with BP's dollars?

12. hoytedow

I did not say BP should not foot the bill. Obama should mobilize assetts by commandeering them if necessary, just like he did for Haiti or any other foreign hell-hole we are propping up.

13. mark775

mark775 Guest

I shud not have clicked on the DailyKos link - Nobody shud. Not much info and what is there is vile and it's the DailyKos.
    Troy is spot on here.
    I think Hoyt is making a comparison to Katrina and how the Bush-haters found it the Fed's job all of a sudden to handle disasters - even when the local government and people are the ones that screwed everything up.
    Yes, BP has a rockier history than some but to indict BP and offshore drilling in your witchhunt is hurting not some faceless "evil corporation" and John Browne but everyone that drives cars, buys food and staples, and has retirement portfolios including any stock related to BP. This company is not quite like mostly-owned-by-small-stockholders Exxon but we still need to be aware of the ramifications of punishing a business out of existance. Much better to get the dead a rightful settlement, the affected industries a rightful settlement and have the company clean up what it can.
    A hurricane would disperse the oil and in my eyes, dispersal is only good after you retrieve what you can. Chemical dispersants shud be used only as a last resort to prevent the mess from hitting a marsh or whatnot.
    Prince William sound still has oil under the sand. It is not pleasant to think about but is doing fine. A visitor would never know there had been a problem and there is more fish and wildlife than in memory. To me, the marshes and coral reefs are a much bigger deal. The under the surface "heavies" are a much bigger, longer lasting problem than a bird getting oiled but an oily bird makes good copy.

14. hoytedow

It looks like we Floridians will be eating a lot of Alaskan seafood soon.

15. MatthewDS

MatthewDS Senior Member

@Mark775

If the Prince William Sound is "doing fine" and has "more fish and wildlife than in memory", how do you care to explain the fact that the herring have never recovered from the spill?

http://www.evostc.state.ak.us/recovery/status_human_fishing.cfm

Yes, it's true, pink and sockeye salmon stocks are recovering, however Herring have not. I don't have data for groundfish or shellfish for the region, so I won't speak to that.

To characterize the Sound as "doing fine" requires a level of blind corporate servitude that I'm frankly surprised to see coming from Homer. The last time I was there all I saw hippies, shouldn't you guys be pro-earth or something?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.