What type of varnish?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by flydog, Jan 19, 2007.

1. flydog

flydog Junior Member

The plans for the wooden boat I am building call for the rails, daggerboard trunk, and keel to have their mating surfaces be sealed with varnish before applying bedding compound for their final attachment. I would assume that this is to make these items more easily released from the bedding compound when they are replaced in the future.

Question: Will any varnish work for this or should I use special(expensive) marine varnish? Two of these parts will be below the waterline. The boat however will not be in the water when not in use.

Thanks!!!

flydog

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Many older sets of plans called for varnish on mating surfaces to seal the wood. It serves as additional protection against moisture. These are areas that will receive very limited inspection, cleaning and care. A quart can of a good spar varnish will likely do all of these surfaces on your boat, with three coats a minimum. There are other methods, most more costly then using varnish.

3. flydog

flydog Junior Member

Thanks PAR!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.