boat bottom help.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by hiVisions, Jan 26, 2011.

1. hiVisions

hiVisions New Member

i have a 2005 16dlx carolina skiff that was used as a part time landing craft on rocky shoreline, a barge, and party craft. sat in salt water for 4 straight months. then given to me as a dept settlement. :( After removing the barnacles its left me with a very beat, chipped, and gouged gel coat under the water line.

Now i want to get the hull looking good again but am unsure if its worth spraying the outer hull with gel coat. I am also considering filling the voids then painting with imron or something else good.

if anyone could give me some pros and cons of these ideas or hopefully even betters ideas i would appreciate it.
    -cody

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Give it a good sanding with 40 grit, fill the voids with a mix of gelcoat and cabosil, sand with 80, 150, 320 grits and spray gelcoat with Duratec clear additive.

3. hiVisions

hiVisions New Member

thanks for the help