Cockpit sole tabbing proceedure????

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by GW255, Jul 4, 2011.

1. GW255

GW255 Junior Member

Hi. First off.........Awesome website with lots of impressive information and mutual respect for others opinions.

I have a 1979 Manatee 180 Bow rider that I am replacing the sole on. It has (5) stringers that are in decent shape. Yes, you read that correctly!! I have cut the 5/8 plywood and have coated it with 3 coats of West system epoxy. I have ground all surfaces with 80 grit and I am now ready to install the sole

The question is.....When I lay the plywood across the stringers, it doesnt sit flush on the interior hull chine at the hull sides. It sits about a 1/2 inch high.

Should I tab the floor to the hull as it currently sits, (It seems the manufacturer did just that) or fill gap with epoxy and fillet it, or use shims to get it flush before tabbing?? Also how much tabbing is recommended on a boat this size? Like what size cloth and width should I use??

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It worked for 31 years with a lesser quality materials and workmanship. Two layers of 20oz biaxial will do fine. It should overlap about 2" or so on both the sole and the hull. Add the width of the gap for total width.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'll second "it'll be fine" though I will add you want a lot more overlap with your sole to hull tabbing. I rarely use heavy weight biax, preferring 12 ounce, as it drapes neatly and I can do a few layers at once, with better resin/fabric ratios. I'd recommend at least 4" of tabbing on the hull shell and sole, ideally more. If you use 6" biax tape, then lay the first layer on with 4" on the hull and 2" on the sole. The next layer should be the opposite with 4" on the sole and 2" on the hull. On that sole (thickness) and assuming there's no flange it rests or is glued to, 4 layers of 12 ounce biax, as described above. Also butter up the gaps with thickened epoxy and make a generous transition fillet from the sole to the hull shell, also with thickened epoxy.

4. GW255

GW255 Junior Member

Thanks for the info!! The remainder of my plan is now in place. A few more sweaty hours and some finishing touches I hope to launch her by mid July.

5. Herman

Herman Senior Member

What I usually do is take biax tape, and laminate it to the undersize of the sole. Half of the tape hangs freely, and is not saturated with resin.

After some cure, turn the sole around, and install in the boat. The tabbing is now lying against the hull. A bit more epoxy will impregnate this last bit, making a bond between the bottom of the plywood sole and the hull. Then fillet and install more tabbing on top, as per PAR's recommendation.

6. GW255

GW255 Junior Member

Worst Marine doesnt have 12 oz 6 inch biax tape. Can anybody recommend a supplier I can order from on the internet???

7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

8. GW255

GW255 Junior Member

Nice website, Thank You.

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

10. GW255

GW255 Junior Member

Thanks PAR, best price I have seen yet.