Another please help my wire my boat.

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by stef1-11, Dec 7, 2008.

1. stef1-11

stef1-11 New Member

Hi,
    I’m hoping some of you nice knowledgeable people could help me wire up my boat. I recently restored it and 80% of the wiring is still there it just needs to be connected.
    The engine is a 24 volt inboard diesel. At the moment I can start it by touching a wire from one of the batteries on to the appropriate part of the solenoid.
    I would like to be able to start the engine with a key and wire the alternator to charge the batteries. If I get that far then I’ll look at the gauges and glow plugs, etc.
    Sorry the Alternator and Solenoid aren’t marked, and I’m not sure what the thing under the Battery selector is, but one of the old batteries is still wired to it.
    Finally I may be missing a few thing and will add to the diagram as they come to light.
    If anyone could help me it would be much appreciated.
    I'll will update the diagram as people suggest.
    Thanks .

Attached Files:

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Would it be possible for you to draw up a diagram of what you now have and scan and post it? With out knowing what you have makes it difficult to give any advise. Stan

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

And far better advices than anyone can give you in any forum can be found in literature. Like Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder. Maybe the best used $35 investment for a boat ever..

4. stef1-11

stef1-11 New Member

Thanks anyway, I think i'm pretty close to sorting it out. I will post completed diagram soon.

5. stef1-11

stef1-11 New Member

probably not right but seems to work

Attached Files:

6. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The temp gauge is wired to both + and -, the oil gauge has just 1 wire. I guess they both should be connected to + only. That + should be behind the key switch.
    The volts gauge should be connected between + (switched) and -. In the drawing it is wired as an amp. gauge.
    What is the circle marked glow plugs? Is that a pushbutton or a special relay? That part carries a lot op Amps, approx. 20 Amps per cylinder.

7. stef1-11

stef1-11 New Member

Thanks CDK
    Temp and oil gauge OK except, as you said to ignition, otherwise battery goes flat if not isolated (expensive mistake).
    I hooked up the volt gauge how (I think) it was hooked up before i took the engine out. Someone said something simular when i showed them.
    Yes glow plugs is a push button but i dont use it because it dosn't seem to work.
    Thanks for the advice, I will definitely get volt meter and glow plugs sorted out before i go much further and update diagram.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.