Best Resin for infusion

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Amon, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Amon

Amon New Member

Hello everybody,

I am using wet lamination to build my boat, however I would like to swift to resin infusion because I would like to improve the material : resin ratio, however epoxy resin is too thick and the viscosity is too high, any suggestion for a very strong and water proof product.

Thank you.

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

It depends on what you mean by good, each type of resin has good and bad points, so you need to decide what you expect it to do. For strength and water resistance VE is your best bet, but then each resin supplier will have a couple VE resins to choose from. VE doen't always have the best surface profile though, and with infusion it will have even more fiber print.

How far along are you in building this boat?

3. Amon

Amon New Member

Thank you for your reply, I am in boat business for 5-6 years, but not responsible for production, my partner in China is responsible for production. The system we use is heat curing epoxy system, material used are kevlar, honeycomb and carbon cloth, to keep the weight low, we use honeycomb for racing boat, for training boat we should like to swift to infusion, using Lantor Soric as core material, my Polish friend who is a boat builder advise me to use vinyl resin for low viscocity, however my partner in China prefer epoxy, so I am asking for advise. Thank you.

4. cristofa

cristofa Junior Member

Amon

"however epoxy resin is too thick and the viscosity is too high," ...

A number of companies make epoxy resin designed for resin infusion with very low viscosity and long pot life. We are using Sicomin resins, which we find very good, but I know SP Systems have some good infusion resins too.

atb ... Christopher

www.rocat.co.uk

5. Amon

Amon New Member

Hi Christopher,

Thank you very much for your advise, I shall looking for a suitable epoxy resin for infusion.

Cheers,

Amon

6. hockeyengineer

hockeyengineer New Member

System Three Epoxies

I know that System Three makes a RTM (resin transfer molding) resin for the boating world. If I remember right, it had a very low viscosity. If you can't find them, I know www.fiberglasswarehouse.com is distributor for them.

7. nero

nero Senior Member

Contact the tech support for EPON. They are very helpful. Free samples are available after being qualified by them. Viscosity is listed for each resin in their documentation. Prices are better than most other products.

http://www.resins.com/resins/am/

8. Benjino

Benjino New Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.