What to build?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Elias_Fleishman, Feb 6, 2011.

1. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Of course, I assumed that since lots of people get their kicks ribbing the "golden ghetto".

That Weekender folk have a big emotional attachment to their boats is well understood and is the only possible reason for their love of the little pig. There are quite a number of equally cute little boats around that are far superior in every way. Take CLC's Pocketship, for instance, or the No Frills 15.

2. luckystrike

luckystrike Power Kraut

Hello Elias,

if you have Laser experience and considered to build a fireball ... take a look at the "Paperjet14" from Dudley Dix. It is a hell of a boat, has all you need and can be equipped with different rigs to suit your style and ability.

Grrreetings from the North Sea Coast, Michel

3. CaptBill

CaptBill CaptBill

This 'class', this "pocketcruiser' class, which the Weekender get's the credit for starting (IMO), is where the emotional attachment lies. It's the class not necessarily the boat. I see a lot of smart, realistic, boating enthusiasts that actually go sailing and having fun without breaking their backs or their banks.I see sailors that can literally come home from work and go 'hey, got some nice wind, surfs up' and be LAUNCHED in 30 minutes.

The Pocket Cruiser is cool too, don't get me wrong. It is like a mini pilot cutter and much roomier and probably handles much better. But calling either one 'pigs' is silly. Pigs don't float much less handle in any specific fashion. Poor analogy.

4. Elias_Fleishman

Elias_Fleishman Junior Member

That is one bada$$ boat and I would build it in a heart beat but it doesnt look like I would be able to sail with more than 2 people, he'll if I have enough money left over after building a snipe screw a dragon I'm building a paperjet14

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Elias, don't pay much attention to the Capt above. If you look at this "Reputation" he's not taken especially seriously around here and is "opinions" about both the Weekender and PC are not even remotely close to reality. If he had any real experience with these two designs he'd know this. I suspect he's just an arm chair sailor, that looks at lots of magazines and building blogs by novices, but hasn't any practical expertise.

For your intended use a PaperJet would be a little too much boat. It's a good preformance skiff trainer, but that's all she can do. The snipe is a good choice as are literally hundreds of small day boats.

[​IMG]
    This is one of my designs and a fast boat capable of carrying a small crew. It one does one thing, go fast.
    [​IMG]
    This is the other end of the spectrum and designed for easier sailing with a small family. It's not considered a fast boat, but will easily crush a Weekender or PC on any point of sail. Lots of storage, plenty of freeboard in case it gets rough. This is a wholesome design that's also available as a gaff cat.

6. CaptBill

CaptBill CaptBill

So people in Weekenders are just armchair wannabes floating around in their little 'pigs' who just THINK they are sailing but are just littering the water, getting in the way of your boat?

7. PAR

Having a fairly personal relationship with a high percentage of Weekender builders, I can assure you that the owners of these boats are as you say, "in love", but there's obvious reasons for this, most of which are that they simply don't know any better for the most part. The vast majority of Weekender builders are first time builders and newbie or complete novice sailors and craftspeople. This isn't wishful thinking, just fact after years of participation with them. This isn't a dig at them, in fact I help them daily, it's just simple statistical truth. I know of at least a dozen Weekender, Vacationer and PC owner/builders in Georgia, though admittedly none in your direct area, a number just above you (Charleston) and a bunch in Atlanta. How many do you know?

8. CaptBill

CaptBill CaptBill

And you knew full well that the statements i have made are are valid ones. You KNOW full well they are not spoken words from a 'greenhorn'. They are from learning the hard way. I was (and technically still am) a liveaboard for the last 5 strait years. I KNOW these people are getting more out of these boats than I ever have been able to do from mine. And I know you know what I say is words of wisdom, from and experienced boat owner.

Why lie to your own selves?

9. PAR

Okay, you haven't answered a single question, suggesting you haven't any. It seems you've earned your reputation, good luck with your version of reality CaptBill . . .

10. CaptBill

CaptBill CaptBill

11. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

You are like a bunny in the spotlight, Cap'n, there is no mercy here ! :p

12. CaptBill

CaptBill CaptBill

No, YOU are like the bunny in the spotlight.

No quarter! Say's you not me.

13. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Most hurtful, IMO, cap'n. I have feelings, you know. :(

p.s. Have you had many mutinies lately ? :p

14. CaptBill

CaptBill CaptBill

I have mutinies sprinkled on top of my mutinies apparently.

Sorry about those feelings. I can be such a hard *** sometimes. Where's my manners.

15. Elias_Fleishman

Elias_Fleishman Junior Member

The more I think about it the more I want to build a paperjet. There are readily available kits to build the boat and I don't have a major cash flow since still in high school. The more I think about the more it makes sense. If I am wrong please let me know before I start spending any money on plans.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.