What the hell is a diving board made of?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by apex1, Sep 8, 2009.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

As some of you know I am going to build me a passagemaker. There will be children aboard. My Diesel Mechanic has five already (he is a friend so, no comments on that please).
    Children are aquatic people when we let them (and I do, be sure). The second greatest fun must be to jump either from the main deck railing (2,6 meter) or, for the next step of skills, from the bridge deck railing level (6,5 meter) into the drink.
    Imagine a blue lagoon, not Singapore harbour.......äh

Now, we all know how such a board increases our fun, when jumping up and down before the final splash happens.
    But I cannot find how such a board is made!?!
    And for sure I do not buy one.
    The board must not be shorter than 2,4 meter to cover the bridge deck over main deck span and have a meter safety margin.

The greatest fun for them I have already! I´ll tell you later...........promised;)

Can anyone out here help?

Best
    Regards
    Richard

2. kroberts

kroberts Senior Member

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

ey you´re a fast one......................chapeaux!!!

edit:

ah... and they only handle 10ft or 20ft boards in the link given. That does´nt suit my needs...................:D

Thank you
    Richard

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

On board ships I think they are called planks, as in "walk the plank".:)

5. kroberts

kroberts Senior Member

Richard,

You were going to make your own, right? So how does it matter how long the boards in the link are?

Or am I missing something?

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

That was a joke!!!!!!!

Of course I am doing my own. I am doing the whole yacht. Well, not with my own hands (yard owners usually do´nt do that). But I could not find how that board has to be made to give the properties needed. The length is mandatory by the width of the decks only. But that is a serious point.
    It is for children, so it has to be the best affordable, not a plank.

I love them, and it is a part of our bord rules, that we keep them alive, even when they jumped overboard for joy!

7. kroberts

kroberts Senior Member

Richard,

Be reasonable here.

According to my link, they're made out of tempered aluminum and then they use epoxy to make them look green.

But these are KIDS, and it's a BOAT. There's no reason you can't make it LOOK like a plank, is there? Other than your needing to wear a pirate's hat the whole time, and fly a Jolly Roger, and say, "Argh, matey?"

You might have to make it be a square rigger too.

8. kroberts

kroberts Senior Member

Oh yeah. Don't forget the hook and the peg leg. A double amputation for the sake of your younger generation is so noble, don't you think?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.