Free Rhino plug-in to create Michlet input files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gary Brown, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Gary Brown

Gary Brown Junior Member

Attached is a free Rhino 64 bit plug-in along with a manual to automate the creation of Michlet input files. It includes the option to create hulls by creating offset points or by mathematical hull series. This is a Beta release so please report any bugs.

Attached Files:

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Fantastic! This will be extremely useful.

Installation was the easiest of any Rhino plug-in I've installed. I'll need to spend some time becoming familiar with it.

3. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Any chance of compiling a 32 bit version? My OS Win 7 Pro 32 bit but I do have the 64 bit version on disc, so could format and install on second drive. Reason for using the 32 bit for some legacy apps and a couple of bits of new commercial software but 32 bit.

Sounds like a good piece of software, well done , thanks for posting.

4. Gary Brown

Gary Brown Junior Member

Hello SukiSolo:
    I am sorry but I don't have a 32 bit version available and I don't plan to make one at this time.
    The 64 bit I specified refers to the Rhino 5 version and not the operating system, so upgrading your OS to 64 bit wouldn't help unless you have the 64 bit Rhino to go along with it. Rhino 5 is also available in a 32 bit version but there is no compatibility between 64 and 32 bit plug-ins. The 32 bit versions build with a much older compiler and I would have to do some rewriting to get it to work.

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Anyone with a valid Rhino 5 license can install the 64 bit version of Rhino 5 if they have a 64 bit operating system.

6. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Thanks Gary. I have a valid commercial license for Rhino 5 (I've run it since before Ver 1.0) and can install the 64 bit version once I've got a 64 bit version of Win 7 running. I'll definitely look into this. Appreciated that the 32 and 64 bit compilers are a bit different and quite a bit of code does not cross over. Even MS have had a lot of things not work without significant rework, when moving functions from 32 to 64 bit on parts of their Office suite. Obviously the 64 bit mode is the future, especially as that has been the norm on UNIX based Os's for a long time.

One big advantage for Rhino is the unlimited RAM access in 64 bit use. Certainly this would be useful as I have more on the machine than the program can use at the moment.

7. Gary Brown

Gary Brown Junior Member

SukiSolo:

Yes, if you have Rhino 5, the 64 bit OS is the best way to go. You can install both Rhino 32 and 64 bit versions side-by-side. Just remember to update the Rhino software after installation. The 64 bit release had a bug with plug-ins like MichletInput which load menu items.

8. michsiba

michsiba ST

anyone have 32 bit Windows 7 OS ? :confused:

thank you before

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.