Couple of questions about a '67 Evinrude

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by barthautala, Jul 15, 2008.

1. barthautala

barthautala Junior Member

I just bought a boat that has sat in a barn for awhile (20 years) and prior to that it hadnt been used much. So I thought I could ressurect the beast. The boat is a 1970 Starcraft Runabout. The motor is a 67? 40752E Evinrude 40 horse.

Firstly, its missing a little piece that connects the throttle cable from the cockpit controls to the control arm on the motor. The cable is there but the piece that belongs on the end of it is gone. Whats this called and where can I get one?

Secondly, what should I do with this motor before I attempt to even turn it over? Im going to check the plugs, clean them. But other than that, I dont know what an old motor needs to have done to it.

And anyone know what the oil:gas mixture is?

2. Lt. Holden

Lt. Holden Senior Member

As far as I can tell from my SELOC manual, it is the "throttle cable end" that fits into a fixed trunnion mounted on the side of the motor. The guy to contact for old Evinrude/Johnson parts is:
    David R. Spurgeon
    8621 Hillridge Drive
    Midwest City, OK 73141-2229
    A very nice and knowlegeable fellow.
    As far as the rest of the motor goes, hopefully some more experienced guys (like Redtech) will chime in. A few suggestions: the mix ratio should be 50:1.
    You will probably want to look at the waterpump impeller and check the carb for varnish etc., examine the spark wires and so forth.
    Good luck!

3. barthautala

barthautala Junior Member

Thanks for the reply! I'll write David as soon as I can.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.