Help Mounting This...

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by BamaFishin, Mar 6, 2007.

1. BamaFishin

BamaFishin New Member

http://www.davisnet.com/productpics/big/01461.jpg.
    Not sure if the link worked but I'm mounting some of these that I made myself on my 12' Jon Boat but I wanted to know what I needed to do to keep it from leaking water?Do I need to use some kind of gasket material and bolts with seals on them or something?If someone could kinda of explain to me what I needed to do I'd appreciate it.Any info would greatly be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    James

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Seal the wood with resin. If you don't have that, paint or glue would be better than nothing. Use bolts with a big washer on the inside. Before assembling, put a ring of silicone caulking around each hole, inside and outside the hull so when the bolts are tightened the caulk oozes up against the bolts. Sam

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.