What should I do? Marine plywood in the rain

Discussion in 'Materials' started by nbehlman, Aug 11, 2012.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

A little late to be bringing up 'would've, could've, should've...,' don't you think? The plywood's already wet.

But as I originally said, I don't think it's really a big deal; the wood will be fine. Which was his concern when he started the thread.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Absolutely but Ille bet he takes a sheet next time. I would advise any one to sheet up sensitive items during transportation, such as 3 piece suits, bags of cement,-- etc.

Point is, its marine ply presumably to build a boat,-- presumably going in water.

If its buggered by a rain shower then its not a very good start.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It has to get bent going on the boat anyway right . . .

4. nbehlman

nbehlman Junior Member

My guess was that it would be OK because it is, after all, MARINE plywood, but when I picked it up form the supplier, he told me to make sure I sealed it before it got wet. I thought that was a bit strange.

I have had the dehumidifier running since I got the wood home, so hopefully that's doing the trick. I will try the tent idea as well.

Thanks!

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Hopefully - but despite the good glues, it is still only wood, and sensitive to moisture. As Par and I said, you have to bend it for the boat, but the problem is if you need it flat ( for frames, bulkheads etc) or if you need to measure, mark and cut complex shapes. Any warp makes that tricky.

If you only have to drape it over some stringers and cut around the edges, then a bit of bend wont be a problem.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Well he hasnt said that it is bent , he has only said it got wet . Neither do we know the thickness. If its 1 inch im sure it wont be and how long was the rain shower any way ,--5 minutes or 5 hours --makes a difference.

ha ha --he hasnt even said he is building a boat,---did he?

Could be a water proof wardrobe.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.