What should be in a Ship Builder's library?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by El_Guero, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Wayne: on my boat building resources page are many useful links. It may seem overwhelming at first but if you scroll down you will find the categories that work for you. About half way down the page are Books Of Interest to Boat Builders, and a section of Books for Designers. http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/links.

1 person likes this.
  2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

El Guero, Boats with rocker are made that way for a specific reason. They are displacement type boats that will fare very poorly without appropriately placed rocker. Boats with straight keels are almost always planeing boats. A boat designed to plane will fare poorly with rockered bottoms. In fact they might not plane at all. The distinction between the two types of boats is important. Rocker or no rocker is not a feature that you are free to like or dislike. It is a matter of design for the intended function.

4. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

I guess I should have posted a note that I was resurrecting a long dead thread. I thought this would be a good place to consolidate any Naval Architecture books, particularly PDF links to old stuff.

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Thanks Phil....I should have paid attention to the dates of the original postings.

6. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

While their sheer scope is daunting in an almost otherworldly sense, and actually buying the three volume set cost boo koo bucks, Saunder's Hydrodynamics pain Ship Design addresses just about anything not the latest innovations (which covers most boats private persons own) in a well organized fashion that doesn't demand you try to take it all in.

Thankfully, volumes 1 and 2 can be found to read on line.

Volume 1, which must still be read on line, is available here: http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.31822002320422;skin=mobile#page/n5/mode/2up

... the text links to different "sections" don't exactly jive with the section assignments given in the table of contents so you'll need to go by page number instead.

Volume 2 can be downloaded in PDF form from Google Books.

I have no idea where to find volume 3 ... yet.