Kingfisher Sierra

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Codypilchard, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Codypilchard

Codypilchard New Member

Hi I’m looking to purchase a new boat. A kingfisher Sierra 5.4 cuddy cab. I’ve tried to find information about then on the bull design and how they handle in the water however I cannot find anything online. Would anyone have any information on where they are built and by who and what they are like as a boat.

Great thanks for your help and knowledge

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

From what I can see online, it is a moderate vee boat, I seem to vaguely recall these things being built in Queensland, but north of the SE corner, not in north Qld though. Try phoning a boat yard around Hervey Bay area, someone may know. Probably a boat for closer inshore use, longer trips offshore might be a bit punishing. What is the area of intended use ?

3. Codypilchard

Codypilchard New Member

Thanks for the fast reply. Looking to go fishing off the coast of central Queensland. Just strange can’t seem to find anything online about them.

4. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

5. Mr Efficiency

There is a picture of one, which does show it being a moderate vee hull. You may find this boat was previously, or subsequently, built under another name, elsewhere, that is not unusual with glass boat moulds changing hands. I really think you need to take the boat for a test run, under the conditions you would likely to be using it, and be prepared to pay for the privilege, the amount depending on how far to the water, and the test duration. You can't expect free demos, there are too many tyre kickers. My feeling is that it might be found wanting in those waters, when a little wind-swept. Seller reluctance to take you for a test, paid by you, would not be a good sign. If your distance to your intended fishing grounds is not that great, that becomes less of an issue.

bajansailor likes this.
  6. Mr Efficiency

Bajansailor on the job with useful info, as usual !

bajansailor likes this.
  7. Codypilchard

Codypilchard New Member

Thanks for the advice appreciate it ! The first link bajansailor shared is actually the boat I’m look to buy. It’s a long way from home to inspect and test on the water. That is the reason for the questions. I just thought I would try get some info before travelling all that way to see if the boat would suit my needs. I was told the hull design is similar to the v17 hull and I know they are a good boat for the water conditions around the area I live.

8. Mr Efficiency

You mean the V17 Haines Hunter ? I'd say not similar, that is a true deep vee, and a bit tippy, but does have a remarkably good ride. Unless you are travelling lengthy distances over open water, though, it is the case that a moderate vee is a good compromise, especially for a fishing platform. Incidentally, what is your max towing weight ?

9. Codypilchard

Codypilchard New Member

Yes that is true. Max towing capacity is 3.5t. I feel like the moderate vee would be a good suit for travelling and sturdy fishing platform.

what is your opinion on the pod being added to the transom. Would it change the ride of the boat much at all ?
    Cheers

10. Mr Efficiency

I would think a pod on that with a heavy four stroke, would be suspect, and I say that because the waterline beam probably isn't that generous, and it isn't that big of a boat. With 3.5 t, you certainly can go quite a bit bigger, and that is usually an improvement. How far out are you intending to go ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.