What random orbital sander?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Tilden, Apr 16, 2013.

?

What random orbital sander

1. dewalt

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. makita

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. bosch

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. porter cable

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. craftsman

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. milwaukee

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  7. ridgid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Festool rotex.

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

The reason I am considering Festool Rotex is the gear drive setting. It is not only RO, but also fixed drive for material removal or buffing. Their anti-stat hose is another reason...was getting lotsa shocks from other equipment.

At $550 for the 5” tool; it probably ought to sand for me.

3. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

I have a 6" Metabo with that feature also, Makita has one too but to be honest if I want to remove more material i use the Makita sander/polisher with 8" 3M soft pad. Every serious builder i know has one or two of these. I have The Metabo, a Bosch and Milwaukee with a real big orbit in the 6", a Bosch 5", Metabo 3 1/8" and just bought a Mirka Deros 6", as well as a 1/2 sheet Porter Cable orbital and a couple of sander/polishers. To be honest i bought the Mirka because ive never been happy with the ergonomics of any of the others. I do have some air sanders too and the Mirka is a lot like an air sander in operation. I can't really comment on it though because i havn't used it yet.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.