prop pitch

Discussion in 'Props' started by ems, Mar 6, 2007.

1. ems

ems New Member

I just bought my first inboard I have always had outboards. The boat that i bought was a cruiser cut down and made a workboat it has a 318 chry gas 4 barrell engine it is 34ft 10 ft beam it is a wood boat, dont know the rpms the guy did not have a tach in it I am giong to put one in it. I have the boat in dry dock now the prop is 15 -12. I could only get 11-12 knots out of it. Would a higher pitch get me any more speed or would it kill the engine.I can not put a taller prop because of room. It has a 1-1 trans.If the prop wont help other than putting a bigger engine in it, is there anything else I could do to pick up a few extra knotts

2. lifetime

lifetime lftm

Pitch Calculation

Dear ems
    Please kindly fill the '' propeller sizing form '' on www.erispropellers.com .I will calculate the pitch and reply you immediately .

3. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

You are limited because of propeller space. You need more propeller surface area, which in your case, can only be obtained with additional Blades. Also the 1 :1 trans necessitates a very low pitch which is less efficient.

Either a 4 or Preferably a 5 blade, 15 x 9 or less pitch should get you a few more knots with your present setup. I suspect your current pitch (12) is already choking the motor and lack of blade area is causing huge slippage.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.