laminating gelcoat vs gelcoat without wax

Discussion in 'Materials' started by b c, Sep 21, 2020.

1. b c

b c New Member

Are these the same? I am resurfacing gelcoat on boat bottom areas. I understand that laminating gelcoat is the way to go for multiple layers and gelcoat with wax for the final coat. I am having trouble finding laminating gelcoat. Is it the same as gelcoat without wax?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Gelcoat is basically a paint, used on the surface of a laminated to cosmetic finish and to protect the laminate from UV damage. Unwaxed gelcoat is sold by hundreds of retailers. I googled it and got thousands of hits. Input "unwaxed gelcoat".

3. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Yes . Gelcoat is rarely labeled as "laminating". "Waxed" had wax added. Wax free is usually not labeled.

I suggest buying regular gel

4. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

Standard gelcoat will cure with a tacky receptive surface, ready for laminating. If you add wax to it, this forms a film on the surface and excludes the air, this allows the gelcoat to cure with a hard surface, so gelcoat with wax is known as flowcoat.

5. b c

b c New Member

Thanks to all for your assistance. Add layers of unwaxed and then final coat with the wax gelcoat!

6. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

That's the ticket

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.